Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!
Default Jr. Football Routine

Thought I'd throw this out there and get some input. As many of you know, I am training my son for PeeWee Football. It is the off-season right now and we want to focus on getting his strength, conditioning, and agility increased so he can make the team next year...not to mention that he enjoys it and it's an absolute blast for me too.

He's been playing basketball so his workouts have been very abbreviated to allow him to practice and play. But basketball is over next week, so I've been putting together a routine for us to do TOGETHER that will serve both our needs. He's been working out since last football season ended and he's learning the lifts well and making good progress on everything.

Here's what I've come up with, all comments are welcome; especially those experienced in training kids...

Sunday:
Press
Me: Military Press - Juggernaut
Son: Military Press - 20 total reps
Pulling
Both: Sled Rows - (2) 20 yard laps
Both: 1 Arm Db Row
Conditioning
Complexes and agilities

Monday:
Rest Day

Tuesday:
Pushing
Me: Bar Dips - 20 total reps
Son: Push-ups - 3 sets ladders
Triceps
Me: Lying Triceps Extensions - 20 total reps
Son: Band Triceps Push-down - 20 total reps
Curls
Me: Barbell Curls - 20 total reps
Son: Band Curls - 20 total reps
Conditioning
Agilities and Sprints

Wednesday:
Squats
Me: Barbell Squats - Juggernaut
Son: Goblet squats - 2 sets of 20 reps
Posterior
Both: Prowler Pushes x 6 laps
Conditioning
Hill Sprints and Cone Drills

Thursday:
Rest Day

Friday
400meters x 4 or Lines (gassers) x 4
Barbell Complexes
(This day is going to suck so bad)

Last edited by Off Road; 03-03-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I have no experience training kids but it looks like something I would feel comfortably allowing my tweener to run.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I was going to ask about pullups in a general sense for football. Are pullups something that is seen as useful in strength training for football? Only reason I ask is that I love rows and they seem like a natural fit for football workouts, but wasn't sure if pullups were considered to have any value.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Thanks BtB. I have been putting in some time designing this further today. I've taken my basic outline here and added more agility, speed, and speed endurance work. It's time to start transitioning from pure strength training to add more conditioning and agility work. The week will start off pretty easy and gets tougher as we go along. It's going to really suck, in a good way (sorta). I can guarantee one thing; We will be in good shape after the next three months...

I edited the first post to show some of the things I changed. I will start a new journal so we can get support and encouragement. I'm going to need it!

Last edited by Off Road; 03-03-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I was going to ask about pullups in a general sense for football. Are pullups something that is seen as useful in strength training for football? Only reason I ask is that I love rows and they seem like a natural fit for football workouts, but wasn't sure if pullups were considered to have any value.
I'm sure that any good strength building movement has value and would transfer well to the field. It's been said that chin-ups are a good indicator of how "in shape" you are (strength to weight ratio). But since my son can only do one good chin-up, and we only have three months left to get as much out of him as we can, we'll just stick to the rowing movements.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I'm sure that any good strength building movement has value and would transfer well to the field. It's been said that chin-ups are a good indicator of how "in shape" you are (strength to weight ratio). But since my son can only do one good chin-up, and we only have three months left to get as much out of him as we can, we'll just stick to the rowing movements.
I understand completely. I don't think I could do a pull up at that age.

Rows seem like a better choice for football anyway, but I didn't want to stick my uneducated opinion in the wrong place.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Westside for Skinny Bastards by Joe DeFranco. That routine was designed specifically for athletes using powerlifting principles.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
Westside for Skinny Bastards by Joe DeFranco. That routine was designed specifically for athletes using powerlifting principles.
Kind of designed it around that routine but made changes to it according to the volume of reading I've done on the subject. Pretty simple plan; start with strength training (2 upper and 1 lower) that is appropriate for an 11 year old, then finish with conditioning. I got a lot of ideas for planning the drills from the Elite fts site and his coaches.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
dmaipa
Living in the Shadows
Max Brawn
Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73 Points: 12,684, Level: 73
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: Food
dmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machinedmaipa is a lifting machine

Just a suggestion. I would put the sprints and agilities before the weight training to make sure you both are fresh and not fatigued from weight training. Other than that..looks like a great start.

BTB mentioned pull-ups. If possible get him started on those. IMO pull-ups are a great indicator for relative strength. Many of the college athletes i train could barely perform a pull-up. Made it my goal that all the big boys had to do pull-ups

THE AIPA PROJECT | HAWAII FITNESS AND AWESOME KU LIFESTYLE BLOG

Youtube Channel: THE AIPA PROJECT

Twitter, Instagram, Facebook: @theaipaproject
dmaipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaipa View Post
Just a suggestion. I would put the sprints and agilities before the weight training to make sure you both are fresh and not fatigued from weight training.
I'd thought that topic over, but I came to the conclusion that I'd rather have him fatigued before the running rather than fatigued before the lifting. In my mind there is a higher chance of injury by doing squats in a fatigued state, and the last thing we want is injury.