Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Jr. Football Routine (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9192)

Off Road 03-03-2012 10:44 AM

Jr. Football Routine

Thought I'd throw this out there and get some input. As many of you know, I am training my son for PeeWee Football. It is the off-season right now and we want to focus on getting his strength, conditioning, and agility increased so he can make the team next year...not to mention that he enjoys it and it's an absolute blast for me too.

He's been playing basketball so his workouts have been very abbreviated to allow him to practice and play. But basketball is over next week, so I've been putting together a routine for us to do TOGETHER that will serve both our needs. He's been working out since last football season ended and he's learning the lifts well and making good progress on everything.

Here's what I've come up with, all comments are welcome; especially those experienced in training kids...

Sunday:
Press
Me: Military Press - Juggernaut
Son: Military Press - 20 total reps
Pulling
Both: Sled Rows - (2) 20 yard laps
Both: 1 Arm Db Row
Conditioning
Complexes and agilities

Monday:
Rest Day

Tuesday:
Pushing
Me: Bar Dips - 20 total reps
Son: Push-ups - 3 sets ladders
Triceps
Me: Lying Triceps Extensions - 20 total reps
Son: Band Triceps Push-down - 20 total reps
Curls
Me: Barbell Curls - 20 total reps
Son: Band Curls - 20 total reps
Conditioning
Agilities and Sprints

Wednesday:
Squats
Me: Barbell Squats - Juggernaut
Son: Goblet squats - 2 sets of 20 reps
Posterior
Both: Prowler Pushes x 6 laps
Conditioning
Hill Sprints and Cone Drills

Thursday:
Rest Day

Friday
400meters x 4 or Lines (gassers) x 4
Barbell Complexes
(This day is going to suck so bad)

BendtheBar 03-03-2012 10:53 AM

I have no experience training kids but it looks like something I would feel comfortably allowing my tweener to run.

BendtheBar 03-03-2012 10:58 AM

I was going to ask about pullups in a general sense for football. Are pullups something that is seen as useful in strength training for football? Only reason I ask is that I love rows and they seem like a natural fit for football workouts, but wasn't sure if pullups were considered to have any value.

Off Road 03-03-2012 10:38 PM

Thanks BtB. I have been putting in some time designing this further today. I've taken my basic outline here and added more agility, speed, and speed endurance work. It's time to start transitioning from pure strength training to add more conditioning and agility work. The week will start off pretty easy and gets tougher as we go along. It's going to really suck, in a good way (sorta). I can guarantee one thing; We will be in good shape after the next three months...

I edited the first post to show some of the things I changed. I will start a new journal so we can get support and encouragement. I'm going to need it!

Off Road 03-03-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 221430)
I was going to ask about pullups in a general sense for football. Are pullups something that is seen as useful in strength training for football? Only reason I ask is that I love rows and they seem like a natural fit for football workouts, but wasn't sure if pullups were considered to have any value.

I'm sure that any good strength building movement has value and would transfer well to the field. It's been said that chin-ups are a good indicator of how "in shape" you are (strength to weight ratio). But since my son can only do one good chin-up, and we only have three months left to get as much out of him as we can, we'll just stick to the rowing movements.

BendtheBar 03-03-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 221556)
I'm sure that any good strength building movement has value and would transfer well to the field. It's been said that chin-ups are a good indicator of how "in shape" you are (strength to weight ratio). But since my son can only do one good chin-up, and we only have three months left to get as much out of him as we can, we'll just stick to the rowing movements.

I understand completely. I don't think I could do a pull up at that age.

Rows seem like a better choice for football anyway, but I didn't want to stick my uneducated opinion in the wrong place.

MVP 03-03-2012 11:51 PM

Westside for Skinny Bastards by Joe DeFranco. That routine was designed specifically for athletes using powerlifting principles.

Off Road 03-04-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP (Post 221561)
Westside for Skinny Bastards by Joe DeFranco. That routine was designed specifically for athletes using powerlifting principles.

Kind of designed it around that routine but made changes to it according to the volume of reading I've done on the subject. Pretty simple plan; start with strength training (2 upper and 1 lower) that is appropriate for an 11 year old, then finish with conditioning. I got a lot of ideas for planning the drills from the Elite fts site and his coaches.

dmaipa 03-05-2012 02:36 PM

Just a suggestion. I would put the sprints and agilities before the weight training to make sure you both are fresh and not fatigued from weight training. Other than that..looks like a great start.

BTB mentioned pull-ups. If possible get him started on those. IMO pull-ups are a great indicator for relative strength. Many of the college athletes i train could barely perform a pull-up. Made it my goal that all the big boys had to do pull-ups

Off Road 03-05-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaipa (Post 221892)
Just a suggestion. I would put the sprints and agilities before the weight training to make sure you both are fresh and not fatigued from weight training.

I'd thought that topic over, but I came to the conclusion that I'd rather have him fatigued before the running rather than fatigued before the lifting. In my mind there is a higher chance of injury by doing squats in a fatigued state, and the last thing we want is injury.