Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Lower back fatigue

Less than 8 weeks to my meet and I am struggling with some lower back fatigue. Squats don't bother my back but 90% deadlifts are the making things worse right now.

2.5 to 3 months ago I hit a triple with 605. 5 weeks ago I hit a 675 raw PR.

I started to pick up lower back fatigue about 4 weeks ago. Right now I am feeling generally weaker. I did 5 singles at 605 this week and I don't think I could have safely attempted a 6th rep. This is 10 pounds lighter than the 5 singles work I was doing 3 months ago, but feeling much heavier.

Bottom line is this...if I had to compete right now I would be lucky to hit 650.

I am trying to decide how to train deads for the next 4-7 weeks. Not sure if I should drop down to 75% and just do a volume of singles, doubles or triples, or keep working at 90% but limit things to 1-2 heavy pulls per week.

I welcome all thoughts and ideas.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

You need a break...There, I said it
I'd drop the intensity for around three weeks and work some assistance lifts hard. Then jump back on your 90%+ routine prior to the meet. Work back up to your max, rest a week, then hit a PR at the meet. But that's just the way I'd do it, but I don't compete, so take what I said as a suggestion. I'm sure the competitors will have some good suggestions.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Rich Knapp
Wheelchair Pro
Max Brawn
Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97 Points: 27,020, Level: 97
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: > 13 years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Supp: AAEFX's whole line.
Rich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master memberRich Knapp is a master member

I'm not a P/L but IF I was talking with a BBer with this issue I would suggest a De-Load but like I said I'm not a P/L and I am sure they have different thoughts on this.
Rich Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Back off the pulls. Hit speed deads for a few weeks with some nasty auxillary work. If my math is right its 7 weeks to the meet?

Meet week=rest
6weeks = opener
5 weeks= heavy pulls
4 weeks = heavy pulls
3 weeks= mid pulls
2/1 weeks= speed pulls with some decent aux movments.

Just my .02cents

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
Back off the pulls. Hit speed deads for a few weeks with some nasty auxillary work. If my math is right its 7 weeks to the meet?
Just shy of 8 weeks.

Quote:
Meet week=rest
6weeks = opener
5 weeks= heavy pulls
4 weeks = heavy pulls
3 weeks= mid pulls
2/1 weeks= speed pulls with some decent aux movments.

Just my .02cents
If 630 is my opener, I am thinking heavy pulls around 565-575 the last few weeks. Does that sound sensible?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
J_Byrd
Max Brawn

J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Just shy of 8 weeks.

If 630 is my opener, I am thinking heavy pulls around 565-575 the last few weeks. Does that sound sensible?
very much so, I would like to double my opener somewhere along the way as well.

Proudly sponsored by

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
Old 02-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

For anyone curious I do think half of this is caused by poor sleep and too much time in a chair working. But that's life. Bills have to be paid. Adapt and thrive.

I just wanted to mention this because I don't think it's necessarily the program I have been using. My sleep is crap 3-4 days per week and it's catching up to me.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

GET UP and stretch several times a day. You gotta get out of that chair.

Drop the intensity of pulls. and pull a bit less often.
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
J_Byrd
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
For anyone curious I do think half of this is caused by poor sleep and too much time in a chair working. But that's life. Bills have to be paid. Adapt and thrive.

I just wanted to mention this because I don't think it's necessarily the program I have been using. My sleep is crap 3-4 days per week and it's catching up to me.
Now that does change things a bit, I would still back off the pulls some just to allow time to feel better. Up the water intack as well, that normally helps me.

Proudly sponsored by

Old 02-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
MonsterMike
Brawn
Points: 1,098, Level: 17 Points: 1,098, Level: 17 Points: 1,098, Level: 17
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 11
MonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good postsMonsterMike has made some very good posts

the backing off and speed pulls sound pretty key here....Ive seen myself make gains just off speed pulls and accesory work bc of the same thing, my body just feels shot.....recovery is just as important as training.
MonsterMike is offline   Reply With Quote