Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Lower back fatigue (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9133)

BendtheBar 02-27-2012 10:54 AM

Lower back fatigue

Less than 8 weeks to my meet and I am struggling with some lower back fatigue. Squats don't bother my back but 90% deadlifts are the making things worse right now.

2.5 to 3 months ago I hit a triple with 605. 5 weeks ago I hit a 675 raw PR.

I started to pick up lower back fatigue about 4 weeks ago. Right now I am feeling generally weaker. I did 5 singles at 605 this week and I don't think I could have safely attempted a 6th rep. This is 10 pounds lighter than the 5 singles work I was doing 3 months ago, but feeling much heavier.

Bottom line is this...if I had to compete right now I would be lucky to hit 650.

I am trying to decide how to train deads for the next 4-7 weeks. Not sure if I should drop down to 75% and just do a volume of singles, doubles or triples, or keep working at 90% but limit things to 1-2 heavy pulls per week.

I welcome all thoughts and ideas.

Off Road 02-27-2012 10:59 AM

You need a break...There, I said it :)
I'd drop the intensity for around three weeks and work some assistance lifts hard. Then jump back on your 90%+ routine prior to the meet. Work back up to your max, rest a week, then hit a PR at the meet. But that's just the way I'd do it, but I don't compete, so take what I said as a suggestion. I'm sure the competitors will have some good suggestions.

Rich Knapp 02-27-2012 11:13 AM

I'm not a P/L but IF I was talking with a BBer with this issue I would suggest a De-Load but like I said I'm not a P/L and I am sure they have different thoughts on this.

J_Byrd 02-27-2012 11:18 AM

Back off the pulls. Hit speed deads for a few weeks with some nasty auxillary work. If my math is right its 7 weeks to the meet?

Meet week=rest
6weeks = opener
5 weeks= heavy pulls
4 weeks = heavy pulls
3 weeks= mid pulls
2/1 weeks= speed pulls with some decent aux movments.

Just my .02cents

BendtheBar 02-27-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 220043)
Back off the pulls. Hit speed deads for a few weeks with some nasty auxillary work. If my math is right its 7 weeks to the meet?

Just shy of 8 weeks.

Quote:

Meet week=rest
6weeks = opener
5 weeks= heavy pulls
4 weeks = heavy pulls
3 weeks= mid pulls
2/1 weeks= speed pulls with some decent aux movments.

Just my .02cents
If 630 is my opener, I am thinking heavy pulls around 565-575 the last few weeks. Does that sound sensible?

J_Byrd 02-27-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 220045)
Just shy of 8 weeks.

If 630 is my opener, I am thinking heavy pulls around 565-575 the last few weeks. Does that sound sensible?

very much so, I would like to double my opener somewhere along the way as well.

BendtheBar 02-27-2012 11:34 AM

For anyone curious I do think half of this is caused by poor sleep and too much time in a chair working. But that's life. Bills have to be paid. Adapt and thrive.

I just wanted to mention this because I don't think it's necessarily the program I have been using. My sleep is crap 3-4 days per week and it's catching up to me.

glwanabe 02-27-2012 11:45 AM

GET UP and stretch several times a day. You gotta get out of that chair.

Drop the intensity of pulls. and pull a bit less often.

J_Byrd 02-27-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 220047)
For anyone curious I do think half of this is caused by poor sleep and too much time in a chair working. But that's life. Bills have to be paid. Adapt and thrive.

I just wanted to mention this because I don't think it's necessarily the program I have been using. My sleep is crap 3-4 days per week and it's catching up to me.

Now that does change things a bit, I would still back off the pulls some just to allow time to feel better. Up the water intack as well, that normally helps me.

MonsterMike 02-28-2012 12:43 AM

the backing off and speed pulls sound pretty key here....Ive seen myself make gains just off speed pulls and accesory work bc of the same thing, my body just feels shot.....recovery is just as important as training.