Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Powerlifting Briefs (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9070)

jwood 02-20-2012 08:23 PM

Powerlifting Briefs

I know we have quite a few geared lifters here, so I am looking for some advice. I have been encouraged at the gym to get some briefs for overload training and to keep my hips healthier. I do not plan to use them all the time but sometimes. I think Louis Simmons says everyone should wear briefs for hip health.

Here is what I would like to know:

What is a good set of starter briefs?

What size would I be if I am around 6' and close to 220, but will probably lose some weight after my meet?

Shot in the dark here: Does anyone have a set of old briefs they would like to sell to me?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Off Road 02-20-2012 09:11 PM

I was thinking about this today as my hips are really bothering me.

jwood 02-20-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 218433)
I was thinking about this today as my hips are really bothering me.

When I am doing more volume of squats and doing sumo deads, my hips just ache. Not good, I notice when I stick to doing hip work it really helps and doing hip mobility drills before workouts is very helpful.

Off Road 02-20-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 218438)
When I am doing more volume of squats and doing sumo deads, my hips just ache. Not good, I notice when I stick to doing hip work it really helps and doing hip mobility drills before workouts is very helpful.

This hip pain is new to me so I will keep an eye on it. Just a few weeks of working my deadlift hard and I have wheels falling off the cart.

MonsterMike 02-21-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwood (Post 218417)
I know we have quite a few geared lifters here, so I am looking for some advice. I have been encouraged at the gym to get some briefs for overload training and to keep my hips healthier. I do not plan to use them all the time but sometimes. I think Louis Simmons says everyone should wear briefs for hip health.

Here is what I would like to know:

What is a good set of starter briefs?

What size would I be if I am around 6' and close to 220, but will probably lose some weight after my meet?

Shot in the dark here: Does anyone have a set of old briefs they would like to sell to me?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

The best set of starter briefs you can get would be some used ones....I would check powerlitingwatch.com classifieds and start their....If you are only using them for hip health and training, they dont have to be crazy tight, snug is good...Although they are expensive, one set that I really like for training is the Titan Centurion Boxer briefs (get the boxer briefs bc they have the leg)....they are only single ply, but they can give you alot back and are easy to use, they are really great briefs....also, you might want to try going to EFS and getting some Metal Pro briefs...they are not as stout as the ACE and have a fairly easy groove to learn....I do not personally have a lot of experience with INZER, but you could call them and see what they reccomend...as far as sizing, in Titan you would be around 44-46, leaning more towards 46...in Metal I would guess around a 44-48, sometimes metal is difficult to size, but if you call directly to EFS, they have great customer service....I would sell you mine, but they would not fit (I'm around 160lbs!) sorry! Best of luck! message me if you have anymore questions.

Fazc 02-21-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonsterMike (Post 218460)
Although they are expensive, one set that I really like for training is the Titan Centurion Boxer briefs (get the boxer briefs bc they have the leg)....they are only single ply, but they can give you alot back and are easy to use, they are really great briefs

Yep, i'm ALL about the Titan single ply briefs, love 'em. :rockon:

As far as the sizing goes, I'm 5 foot 10, around 200-210lbs. I wear 42 and I'm relatively lean. I think you could probably go 44.

J_Byrd 02-21-2012 08:18 AM

All my squat gear is now Titan, I honestly feel like it has given me the best carry over. With that being said its not so much carry over as you want as hip health. The Titan Centurion box briefs are prob the best. Ken Anderson (andersonpowerlifting.com) can get you a set out really quick. You could always order a z suit from inzer and just never pull the straps up. Not really any carryover there, but will help with keeping the hips healthy. Personally I say Titan Centurion briefs....but I am a gear whore haha.

Disciple X 02-21-2012 08:37 AM

I'd have ro recommend inzer powerpants if you're just looking for hip health and a little boost in performance. They're probably going to give you a lot less poundage than the titan ones they're talking about, and i know for a fact less than the metal pros... they were perfect for me when i wanted the exact same thing, but be careful, as i got a false sense of strength using them. Just by the nature of my strength curve, i got a good bit out of them (weak out the hole, strong after a few inches from parallel) when going wide stance...

If you keep your numbers separate and dont think you can do raw what you can do in powerpants, they're perfect in my opinion for what you're looking for.

Just for consideration, i've never used titans briefs, but i do have a super centurion squat suit, so i know basically what they're like...

jwood 02-24-2012 07:01 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, I think I am going to look for a used pair on powerlifting watch. There is a ton of gear on there for sale, now I just have to find my size and go with it.

Thanks guys!