Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I've thought about it some more and it makes sense to me. Using Smolov volume recommendations and applying them to how I train. I will name it:

CONJUGATE SMOLOV! (TM) You heard it from me, here first!
The professor speaketh
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc
2) Bulk of the work should be high volume. I have gotten away from high volume stuff to my detriment I think. I started off this experiment doing a bunch of volume work but that has slowly been replaced with less and less of that and more max work. That needs to be reversed.
One thing that has concerned me is the fact I am losing a lot of conditioning even though I am lifting frequently. I feel like I am doing the work, but not working hard. Not working "too hard", just not working hard.

There are other factors interwoven here that concern me as well. I am getting older and need conditioning and to keep all muscles strong. This transcends powerlifting. It's a health and longevity issue.

Quote:
Based on the above points I'm thinking of going in the other direction with sets/reps and increasing the volume across the week. Using the various percentages with different variations in the week -

Equipped Squat 90% singles
Partial Squats & GMs 80% triple
Squats 70% fives

For a lot of sets... maybe as high as ten.

That's where my head is at now, any thoughts?
Might sound crazy but I was thinking of a 5x5 at 70 percent last night.

I have been thinking about making some similar changes, but was still processing them. I wanted to think them through before presenting them to you.

I think the 70-80-90 approach is solid. I was tossing around last night:

Heavy - 5-8 singles with appropriate weight
Moderate - Triples
Light - 70% @ 5x5

I need more work, more conditioning, and to add a lifts each day to keep all muscles strong.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post

I've had a (brief) play around and come up with something like this:

Monday Squat and pull
Tuesday Push and Pull
Wednesday Squat and push
Thursday Squat and pull
Friday Push and pull

Reads like something out of a masochist's wet dream, I know, but bare in mind that pulls aren't just deadlifts and rack pulls and the like - they also include rows, chins, cleans and shrugs in all their varieties.

So if I put together an example routine it would be something like this:

Monday - Heavy back squat, heavy conventional deadlift
Tuesday - Heavy bench press, Pendlay rows
Wednesday - Box squats, push press
Thursday - Light front squats/Squat jumps, Heavy sumo deadlift
Friday - Equipped bench press (either shirted or slingshot), chin-ups

There'll be other bits here and there, arm and ab work, but that's the jist of it, with exercises mixed up along the way whenever I choose.
I will be following this to see how it develops. Any thought of how many singles you plan to do on heavy days?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Hazz,

I have ran this program pretty much exactly. I have ran it both days, first time I ran C&P i did the squat, push, pull 3 times a week and then did circuits on the off days. that worked well but was tough not to get burned out. I gained great results from this program, it was just tough on the body. And the workouts can get long if you do not watch your rest periods.

Not too long ago, I ran pretty much the exact same program that you have laid out. I liked that a lot better and was able to do it longer. Really the only reason I switched was because I started training at a powerlifting gym.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I will be following this to see how it develops. Any thought of how many singles you plan to do on heavy days?
Probably 10, that's what I did today and it felt like a good number. Any more than that and the length of time it takes me to train starts to get ridiculous, even with trying to cut rest times down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Hazz,

I have ran this program pretty much exactly. I have ran it both days, first time I ran C&P i did the squat, push, pull 3 times a week and then did circuits on the off days. that worked well but was tough not to get burned out. I gained great results from this program, it was just tough on the body. And the workouts can get long if you do not watch your rest periods.

Not too long ago, I ran pretty much the exact same program that you have laid out. I liked that a lot better and was able to do it longer. Really the only reason I switched was because I started training at a powerlifting gym.
Yeah, I had trouble keeping the session length down today, but that's also because I train with people. Will hopefully be a little shorter tomorrow on the bench, although I'm not really sure what to do yet.

I think doing all three powerlift-esque exercises three times a week would be pretty intense - almost like a mini-meet three times every single week. Hence why I wrote my own slightly altered version, which still has the volume, but slightly less intensity. Kind of. Glad you had success with a similar format so hopefully it'll work for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab54 View Post
Wish you the best of luck with the routine hazz, it looks really good. I have been reading a lot of C&P in the past few days, really wanting to do something like it myself in April.
Thanks a lot mate, you should definitely give it a go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
I've read the C&P book as well and I really wanted to try something insane out. However, I'm nowhere near strong enough nor do I have the requisite miles on the clock (and thanks to Fazc for his help). I've managed to crank out a tough 6 session template without killing myself (I hope!).
I figured you would try something mental Hazz. Best of luck
Just give yourself a little more training experience - like in the routine you're about to start smashing out - and you'll be ready to kill it! Although you're doing that already mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Thanks for the response Hazz, I'm mulling it over in my head with some other stuff.

Back to your thread:
<snip>
You're welcome mate, although I think it was more a random ramble than a genuinely informative response!

As you know I'm not a deload week fan, but I'll definitely start to feel my way along in regards to how my body is coping and react accordingly - give it the time off or with lighter weights so it can recover well.

Your schedule looks awesome mate and we're definitely doing similar routines. Bring it on!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #16
HERC410
Russian Bear in Training
Max Brawn
Points: 4,308, Level: 41 Points: 4,308, Level: 41 Points: 4,308, Level: 41
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 2 years, 10 Meets
Fav Supp: Moose Jerky
HERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributorHERC410 is a dedicated contributor

Onpump and myself are currently running somthing pretty close to
monday-Squat+deadlift
wed-Squat deadlift and bench press
friday-squat deadlift and overhead stuff
sat-recovery stuff and shrug
HERC410 is offline   Reply With Quote