Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
UncleSlam
Brawn
Points: 896, Level: 15 Points: 896, Level: 15 Points: 896, Level: 15
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: Heavy as possible
Fav Supp: Raw Beef
UncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality posts
Default Westside BB Question

Ok Im pretty stupid so what is a good link or book that explains in dummy language Westside BB's training methods. I was thinking of buying the DVD set or their Book of Methods they have on their Website. Do they explain the whole Westside way? So far everything Ive read on the internet confuses me. I have nobody in person here in Afghanistan to explain it to me.
UncleSlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Not sure if you have seen this, but tossing it up just in case.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...-template.html

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
UncleSlam
Brawn

UncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality postsUncleSlam has made some quality posts

I have seen this and it still confuses me a bit. So on Dynamic the whole point is speed and 8 sets of 50-55% of your 1RM if I read it right. Max Effort is 3 sets 90-100% 1RM.

Last edited by UncleSlam; 02-18-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Westside Template Made Easy
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Love me some WSBB

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSlam View Post
I have seen this and it still confuses me a bit. So on Dynamic the whole point is speed and 8 sets of 50-55% of your 1RM if I read it right. Max Effort is 3 sets 90-100% 1RM.
Dynamic effort is about speed. Usually it is in waves of:

--Week 1 - 50%
--Week 2 - 55%
--Week 3 - 60%

...but these are merely general guidelines. First and foremost you want all reps to maintain speed. So whatever you do for dynamic work, you want to make sure you never are doing speed work when your speed has slowed. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Guys will also add bands and chains to speed work, so those percentages are merely guidelines.

Max effort I believe is working up to a max rep for that day on a lift. They lifts are variations on the main lift that have carry over to the main lift. So for deadlift it could be rack deads, or RDLs or good mornings or box squats.

There are indications that training a movement pattern longer than 3 weeks might result in a stall. The Westside conjugate method has no maxing out on a single lift no longer than 3 weeks. I believe for advanced lifters they swap every week.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 02-18-2012 at 06:26 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
thumpinos
Uber Brawn
Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40 Points: 4,122, Level: 40
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

thumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good poststhumpinos has made some very good posts

Interested in learning more about Westside. How expensive are the DVDs?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
UncleSlam
Brawn

Off Road that helped me a bit. But I really need someone in person to explain it to me. I guess the Army has dumbed me down abit over the years. I decided to buy the Book of Methods off their site. The dvd set is $289.53 but they range from $40-$70 a piece.

I actually taught myself how to lift weights believe or not. But I started bodybuilding and made the switch to powerlifting about 1 1/2 years ago. Ive gotten a few pointers in person from people and obviously learned alot on the internet. But Im more of a hands on type of learner.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

If you're more of a hands on learner and you don't have someone to show you, Westside is probably not for you. It's all about analysing your lifts on an ongoing basis, identifying specific weaknesses and working on them.

That being said if you are dead set on doing Westside we can help you set up a split. I have a thread which I'll ask sowmone to link for me which details how I started with Westside training. That could be a good starting point for you as well.

Steve could you link?

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
UncleSlam
Brawn

Well I kinda get the idea of the template but not 100%. Tomorrow I start my second mesocycle of 5/3/1. I was thinking in a month switching to Westside style. I also got R&R on 30Mar and Im going to be in Boston with my wife. I found a gym there that says they train Westside style. I think Im going to contact them and see if I can train there for 2 weeks and get some coaching. I need a good gym to workout at anyway so it works out.