Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
First one done and behind you. Great job, we're proud of you. Take that experience and build on it.
thanks OR , it was a great experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Fantastic work! Start of a great powerlifting journey for you
i believe i have caught the competition bug alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
First off, congratulations on your first meet! I'm sure it's an experience you will never forget.

That's for the update and again congratulations.
thanks Steve - it was a great experience , first of many i hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
Nice lifts markievicz. Great deadlift PR, shame about the bench but still a strong total for the first meet!
cheers buddy , looking forward to the next one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanK91 View Post
Well done again Al!

You were unlucky with the head movement on the bench, I could see that it was playing in your mind for the final lift.

You'll blast through it at the next event!

Your deadlift will certainly be higher at the next event. You made the 190kg look easy!

Bring on Killarney =)
Thanks Jord, and also thanks for making itover to record the deadlifts for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
good job
thanks mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm1507 View Post
Great job on your first meet.

So, the head movement came as you were lowering the wt???

I plan to compete for the first time this year. Looking back, what would you do differently, what did you do right?

Thanks for the info.
yes , i never knew about that before the meet , i guess its better to learn about it in the first meet than further down the line,

i have to say the guys that ran the meet were fntastic, one judge called me over and explained it out to me.

the only thing i would have done differently is i would have competed sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Just watched the video. Awesome work for your first meet. I really thought you had the last squat and bench, a little faster on both and you'd have finished. As for deadlifts: monster. LOADS more in the tank there.

LtL
thanks LtL , yeah i think i had at least 200 in me for the deadlifts , looking forward to increasing that number very soon

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

So you're not allowed move your head at all during the bench? I did not know that. Great work Mark. Well over the 1000 pounds mark. Target 500kg+ next time.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
mab54
Max Brawn
Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Scivation whey
mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine

Great job mark, you made those deadlifts look easy. Sorry to hear about the bench press, missing a lift can really get into your head. You had almost the exact squat attempts as my last meet.
mab54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #14
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

Awesome work mate, and congratulations on competing in your first meet. That's a huge step that many people don't take.

Watching the video, those bench calls are harsh, your head bobs up for about half a second on the descent, but not on the press, I would've passed you. Also, the amount of time you had to touch for was pretty ridiculous. Still, great work mate.

Oh, and it sounds like that's Wim Beckelant (sp?) on the PA - he's a HUGE Belgian dude, was it him?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
Squatter
Squatatron
Max Brawn
Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98 Points: 27,624, Level: 98
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 20 Years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat & Deadlift
Fav Supp: Collagen
Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!Squatter is one with Crom!

Wow Mark - your first meet and you really did great. You now know what to expect and can build on that. Man o man, your competitive future is very bright mate. I am 100% inspired now to compete. I'm sure I will also have a few things go wrong, but it all good for the leaning experience.

Once again, many conggrats and I also am very proud of you. Big respect.
Bench: 286 lbs
Deadlift: 501 lbs
Total: 1262 lbs

Gym PR's:
Squat: 495 lbs
Bench: 300 lbs
Deadlift: 520 lbs
Total: 1315 Lbs
Age 50
Squatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #16
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Very, very harsh call on that second Bench.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:09 AM   #17
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
So you're not allowed move your head at all during the bench? I did not know that. Great work Mark. Well over the 1000 pounds mark. Target 500kg+ next time.
i guess i found out the hard way
yes, will be looking for well over 500 at the next one , i have no doubt ill get it to with the help from all at MAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab54 View Post
Great job mark, you made those deadlifts look easy. Sorry to hear about the bench press, missing a lift can really get into your head. You had almost the exact squat attempts as my last meet.
yeah , it was a good learning experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
Awesome work mate, and congratulations on competing in your first meet. That's a huge step that many people don't take.

Watching the video, those bench calls are harsh, your head bobs up for about half a second on the descent, but not on the press, I would've passed you. Also, the amount of time you had to touch for was pretty ridiculous. Still, great work mate.

Oh, and it sounds like that's Wim Beckelant (sp?) on the PA - he's a HUGE Belgian dude, was it him?
thanks Hazz , was delighted to get a chance to compete. It was also nice that there was a good few first time lifters there along with me so I wasn’t alone!

I had practiced pausing for 2/3 seconds so wasn’t too worried about the length of the pause,

Yeah that was the fella alright – nice guy too , was talking with him for a few minutes early in the day. You are right , he is huge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatter View Post
Wow Mark - your first meet and you really did great. You now know what to expect and can build on that. Man o man, your competitive future is very bright mate. I am 100% inspired now to compete. I'm sure I will also have a few things go wrong, but it all good for the leaning experience.

Once again, many conggrats and I also am very proud of you. Big respect.
many thanks Jim - looking back on the day , i think you should definately do a meet if you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Very, very harsh call on that second Bench.
appreciate you looking in Fazc , didn’t get to chat with Mark Lane as you suggested by PM but did end up talking with a guy called John Ryan , not sure if you ever met him ? he’s the national record holder in the 82.5kg class and has done 232.5kg squat . he was really helpful on the day with loads of pointers for me.

Twitter: @markievicz5
YouTube: Markievicz5
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:33 AM   #18
Beast
Brawn
Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Red meat
Beast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributorBeast is a consistent contributor

Fantastic effort mate!

In any sport you've got to find your feet in your first few contests - looks like you have a great base to build on for the future there
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Great job, Mark!!
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #20
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Very smooth and clean lifts all around. Very solid technique as well. Congrats!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote