Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default Core Stability/Strengthening for the Squat.

I'm currently struggling to increase my Squat. The biggest problem I have isn't a lack of hip or leg strength, but I lack of core/midsection stability.
When I drop down into the bottom part of a squat (with maximal loads) the weight is forcing me to far forward. I just can't keep my torso up. I squat low bar and I understand that some lean is to be expected, but this I believe is going beyond the normal mechanics of the movement.

I believe the problem is my core/ab/midsection strength. It just feels like this is the weak link when I am performing this lift.

My question is:
What assistance exercise(s) do you guys recommend to specifically increase core strength and stability for the Squat?

I currently do 3 sets of 8 weighted crunches on the decline bench and 3 sets of max (currently 15, once I do 3 sets of 15 I'll bump it up to 16 and so on) with just bodyweight. I do these 2 movements on different days. I only do ab work twice a week, one day weighted, the next just bodyweight.

My thoughts are maybe I need to switch out the bodyweight crunches with something else or I need to add ab/core work a 3rd time a week.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

It depends how bad the lean is Josh, and also how you're built. Heavy (subjective) forward lean isn't necessary indicative of bad form, not everyone will squat pretty. I certainly don't. At various points I've tried to 'fix' my forward lean, there was nothing to fix though. That's just the way I squat.

Having said that the biggest contributors to good form for me are:

1) Toes out, knees out so I can drop between my thighs rather than on top of them.

2) Slightly higher bar position. On top of your rear delts is fine, I've seen some guys take low bar too far.

3) Drop faster.

4) Stretch prior.

The best thing would be to see a video of a max set. We can go from there.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
It depends how bad the lean is Josh, and also how you're built. Heavy (subjective) forward lean isn't necessary indicative of bad form, not everyone will squat pretty. I certainly don't. At various points I've tried to 'fix' my forward lean, there was nothing to fix though. That's just the way I squat.

Having said that the biggest contributors to good form for me are:

1) Toes out, knees out so I can drop between my thighs rather than on top of them.

2) Slightly higher bar position. On top of your rear delts is fine, I've seen some guys take low bar too far.

3) Drop faster.

4) Stretch prior.

The best thing would be to see a video of a max set. We can go from there.
Very good post.
As far as the good form contributors are concerned:
1.) I am confident that I am good. I get my legs open enough that I can drop in between.
2.) This is something I may have to look at. It is quite possible I am going a bit to low. Interesting that you bring this up, because at one time I played with barbell positioning a bit. I went really low and basically came to the conclusion that placing the bar lower wasn't necessarily better.
3.) I make an effort to commit to the descent and really drop fast.
4.) I stretch my groin, but that is about it.

What stretches do you use?

This isn't the first time it's been recommended to me that I get a squat video posted. I am not avoiding it for fear of criticism or trying to hide something, it is the logistics of getting someone to go with me that is also willing to film me. Having said that, I am going to make the commitment to go ahead and make it happen. If that's what it takes to improve my squat, then I need to do it.

Thanks Fazc.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Sounds good Josh. Regarding the video, no-one will take the piss around here.

Those form pointers were my own, things that I would get you to watch for if we ever trained together. You may have a different set of pointers but the best way to know is that video!

To answer your question, I'm very inflexible around the hamstrings/hips/quads/calves. I wasn't always but that hamstring injury I suffered in 2007 really screwed me over in that regard. So I tend to stretch, quads, hamstrings, groin, calves in that order.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

Dynamic stretching is great. Increasing my ankle and hip mobility has noticeably helped my squat.

Abs: I like weighted planks, side bends, weighted sit ups, front squats, heavy front squat lockouts.

Oh, your back strength may not be a problem, but extra back work is never a bad thing.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

I agree with everything said above, but just some other suggestions for core.

I think walking with weights overhead is an awesome ab builder! Does not have to be heavy, just something. Also, maybe some overhead squats would help.

I also am a fan of front squats. Especially if you have the problem of going forward. If you go forward on a front squat, you lose the weight. I think actual ab exercises on do so much for stabilization. Heavy decline sit ups are really all I do.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #7
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

I wouldn't worry about posting the video Josh, I had the same worries but the lads here sorted out my depth. At least I now know that when I do get depth, my technique is actually quite decent but of course I can (and will) improve. Hopefully, the MAB posse can sort you out.
Interesting that you mention the forward lean, I've been nailed on squats a couple of times recently and being forced forward because of excessive weight was one of the main reasons.
Personally, I am going to add some ab work to extra sessions when I have the energy.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote