Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Monster Memory Champion! Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion! Wheel Of Fortune Champion! Portal Champion! SpongeBob's Pizza Toss Champion! Bumper Cards Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! NBA Spirit Champion! Torino 2006 Curling Champion! Ultimate Football Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member
Default Core Stability/Strengthening for the Squat.

I'm currently struggling to increase my Squat. The biggest problem I have isn't a lack of hip or leg strength, but I lack of core/midsection stability.
When I drop down into the bottom part of a squat (with maximal loads) the weight is forcing me to far forward. I just can't keep my torso up. I squat low bar and I understand that some lean is to be expected, but this I believe is going beyond the normal mechanics of the movement.

I believe the problem is my core/ab/midsection strength. It just feels like this is the weak link when I am performing this lift.

My question is:
What assistance exercise(s) do you guys recommend to specifically increase core strength and stability for the Squat?

I currently do 3 sets of 8 weighted crunches on the decline bench and 3 sets of max (currently 15, once I do 3 sets of 15 I'll bump it up to 16 and so on) with just bodyweight. I do these 2 movements on different days. I only do ab work twice a week, one day weighted, the next just bodyweight.

My thoughts are maybe I need to switch out the bodyweight crunches with something else or I need to add ab/core work a 3rd time a week.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links