Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Wait! I've got more... Tell them that the above 10 year old girl thinks they're a weak pussy, and wants them to go do some squats.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I think it's a safe enough endevour. I mean the streeses from squats are probably duplicated in many thing kids do already; like jumping, gymnastics, wrestling, etc.

My only issue is having your kid compete at such a high level at such an early age, especially in a sport where she will reach her peak 20 years from now. Slow down. Teach the kids body control, technique, and be progressive...but don't have them going for maxes at such an early age. I've seen videos of here squatting where her form was absolutely scary, certainly an area that could be addressed before pushing things too hard.
I've seen those videos too. I think someone posted them here and her dad actually registered to respond.

Perhaps I was the critic; I don't recall. But I do remember some of the reps were spotty.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I've seen those videos too. I think someone posted them here and her dad actually registered to respond.

Perhaps I was the critic; I don't recall. But I do remember some of the reps were spotty.
Yep, I remember that; it was concluded, concerning the top end loads, that form tends to slip anyway.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Now that I've seen the videos on youtube, I have pretty mixed feelings. And I did look back to see the old thread where her dad had posted on this forum. I think he chooses to use her success to ignore her form, and then tries to defend it.

Whether or not its called a good lift is irrelevant, in my opinion. Technique and form are two different things, neither of which allow the knees to drift inward as far as her's do on some of her maxes. Lifts with form breakdowns can still be called good lifts, but those same lifts can get your ass hurt. He states that his best interest is her health, but I disagree. While I'm a big fan of her strength, I think the focus needs to be placed on her getting stronger appropriately and not on setting world records with a "do what it takes" attitude.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
Yep, I remember that; it was concluded, concerning the top end loads, that form tends to slip anyway.
And its going to happen regardless. That's the nature of the beast, but when do you say enough is enough.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
And its going to happen regardless. That's the nature of the beast, but when do you say enough is enough.
That's the problem; I understand for the Olympics and competitions that people have to push the envelope but other than that they should be concentrating on form with all the lesser submaximal lifts which many tend to...as for the girl, I don't know whether she is permitted to back-off etc, since the parents are the trainers.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #17
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

On the plus side it looks like they've sorted out her knees caving in. Am I right in thinking that or has someone seen it from a better angle?
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #18
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

My first thought was 'I wonder if that's doing her spine any good?' I don't know what the evidence is either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
When did children stop lifting heavy weights? There would have been a time, in our past, where even children lifted heavy; an adult age (for work purposes) was considered 15y/o in 1972, 12y/o in 1930 (based on hubby's father) and then the individual was expected to go and take on a full-time manual labour job...with many prior to the age of 12y/o doing heavy farm work.
True, but just because they had to do it doesn't mean it was good for them - bone wise, I mean - lots of other health benefits for kids lifting things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I think it's a safe enough endevour. I mean the streeses from squats are probably duplicated in many thing kids do already; like jumping, gymnastics, wrestling, etc.
Do you think? I suppose some ballistic movements generate terrific forces on the body. I wonder if they are equivalent to having 200+ on your skeletal structure. I think kids can certainly bear a lot of robust activity, but wonder about that sort of loading.

I have mixed feelings about the enterprise.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #19
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
My first thought was 'I wonder if that's doing her spine any good?' I don't know what the evidence is either way.

True, but just because they had to do it doesn't mean it was good for them - bone wise, I mean - lots of other health benefits for kids lifting things.
Very true! And to add, I doubt any of them were lifting 200 lbs on their back either; an important point which I should have added to my post.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #20
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
That has potential to be a very good question, and I feel like the answer could go in either direction. Honestly, from what I do know, I feel like it could be beneficial to strengthen the erector spinae muscles, but not to this extreme.

Quote:
How does exercise affect bone development during ... [Sports Med. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

Quote:
Abstract
It is increasingly accepted that osteoporosis is a paediatric issue. The prepubertal human skeleton is quite sensitive to the mechanical stimulation elicited by physical activity. To achieve the benefits for bone deriving from physical activity, it is not necessary to perform high volumes of exercise, since a notable osteogenic effect may be achieved with just 3 hours of participation in sports. Physical activity or participation in sport should start at prepubertal ages and should be maintained through the pubertal development to obtain the maximal peak bone mass potentially achievable. Starting physical activity prior to the pubertal growth spurt stimulates both bone and skeletal muscle hypertrophy to a greater degree than observed with normal growth in non-physically active children. High strain-eliciting sport like gymnastics, or participation in sports or weight-bearing physical activities like football or handball, are strongly recommended to increase the peak bone mass. Moreover, the increase in lean mass is the most important predictor for bone mineral mass accrual during prepubertal growth throughout the population. Since skeletal muscle is the primary component of lean mass, participation in sport could have not only a direct osteogenic effect, but also an indirect effect by increasing muscle mass and hence the tensions generated on bones during prepubertal years.
Again... If it weren't an extreme.