Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast
Default First Meet Questions

I'll be competing for the first time in a BDFPA regional meet Saturday 28th January and just wanted to hopefully get a bit of advice from some of the more experienced members here. I know markievicz is competing for the first time also and might have some questions too.

1. I have a good idea of what my openers will be, numbers that I am confident I can get on any day, good or bad but in terms of attempts 2 and 3 what kind of jump in weight would you advise?

2. This links into the first but should I have all of my attempts planned when I get there and is there likely to be a chance to get the attempts changed if things aren't going as planned?

3. For warm-ups, what goes on? No idea on this, should I have a general idea of my warm-up sets and then each flight warms up together?

That's all I can think of right now but if there's any other advice you think a first timer could use then fire away, it would be much appreciated .
Old 01-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
I'll be competing for the first time in a BDFPA regional meet Saturday 28th January and just wanted to hopefully get a bit of advice from some of the more experienced members here. I know markievicz is competing for the first time also and might have some questions too.

1. I have a good idea of what my openers will be, numbers that I am confident I can get on any day, good or bad but in terms of attempts 2 and 3 what kind of jump in weight would you advise?

2. This links into the first but should I have all of my attempts planned when I get there and is there likely to be a chance to get the attempts changed if things aren't going as planned?

3. For warm-ups, what goes on? No idea on this, should I have a general idea of my warm-up sets and then each flight warms up together?

That's all I can think of right now but if there's any other advice you think a first timer could use then fire away, it would be much appreciated .
Depends on what your top weight is compared to your openers. Can you give us a rough idea of your openers and your max weights?
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
JTurner
Max Brawn

JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Depends on what your top weight is compared to your openers. Can you give us a rough idea of your openers and your max weights?
Thanks for the reply and certainly.

Squat max is 165kg, I'm confident of much more and hit 160kg easy this week so was thinking of around 155kg opener to be safe. I would like to push for a strog new PB but don't want to overdo the jumps.

Bench max is 110kg, was thinking 100kg opener, confident with that and 7.5kg increases for a 5kg PB. Bench is my least confident lift.

Deadlift I've hit 200kg with a poor lockout, confident of hitting that and possible more. But conservative opener of 180kg.

Here are the videos of my squat and deadlifts this week if that helps at all.

Last edited by JTurner; 01-22-2012 at 12:05 PM.
JTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I'd say:

Squat: 155 > 165 > Go for broke

Bench: 100 > 110 > Go for broke

Deadlift: 180 > 200 > Go for broke

That way you get a second attempt at max weight if for some technical reason you fail, or you can just take a new weight for a PR. Or if all else fails just pass.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
JTurner
Max Brawn

Thanks Fazc, I overthink everything so it helps to get an experienced opinion. That seems the most sensible way to go about it.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
Fazc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
Thanks Fazc, I overthink everything so it helps to get an experienced opinion. That seems the most sensible way to go about it.
It's easy to overthink it and it's a pretty nervy experience, especially for the first time. But it's great you're getting involved!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
JTurner
Max Brawn

Definitely a nervy experience and it's still I week off. Once I get there and get a squat under my belt I should be fine. Glad I stumbled on MAB because I very much doubt I would be competing right now if I hadn't!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

Fazc has covered your attempts, so in regards to your warm-ups, it's always good heading into the meet with an idea of what you'll be doing so you don't waste time in the warm-up room thinking about it. So if your opener is 155 then do something like 20, 60, 100, 120, 140, perhaps. You'll be warming up with your flight, and possibly another if there are two platforms, in a separate room to where the lifting is held. Or at least a cornered off area with a multitude of racks and weights. I've always found everyone to be friendly and helpful and up for some banter and spotting so you'll find it a good atmosphere.

You write your openers down on an entry form thing you'll be given at the start of the meet, along with weight, rack height, etc. You can change these up to approximately five mins before your flight starts, give or take. Again, judges and referees (well, most of them...) are friendly and helpful.

If there's anything else, feel free to ask mate.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

[QUOTE=

3. For warm-ups, what goes on? No idea on this, should I have a general idea of my warm-up sets and then each flight warms up together?[/QUOTE]

Remember that Warm-ups are WARM-UPS. Don't wear yourself out. I've seen to many new competitors get caught up in the warm up room "showing off their stuff". Do that on the platform. I usually do an abbreviated warmup for meets. Less reps, but same sets as a workout warmup for an ME day.

I also start warmups when the flight before me starts their 2nd attempts(for a 12-15 lifter flight). You may have to adjust that to your style/sets of warmup lifts. Just make sure you have a rest period from your last warmup before your first platform attempt. I would rather be done a little early than have to rush to the platform right after my last warmup set.

Make sure you stay hydrated between warm ups and each attempt. If it's a big meet and you have several flights, you may need to eat an energy bar or some fruit between sq-bnch or bnch -dl. Staying hydrated is most important though.

HAVE FUN and enjoy it, no matter the outcome. I also try to remember to thank the judges & spotters after my last attempt- whatever my proformace was. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

No advice to give; just wanted to wish you good luck in the meet.