Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   First Meet Questions (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8716)

JTurner 01-22-2012 11:10 AM

First Meet Questions

I'll be competing for the first time in a BDFPA regional meet Saturday 28th January and just wanted to hopefully get a bit of advice from some of the more experienced members here. I know markievicz is competing for the first time also and might have some questions too.

1. I have a good idea of what my openers will be, numbers that I am confident I can get on any day, good or bad but in terms of attempts 2 and 3 what kind of jump in weight would you advise?

2. This links into the first but should I have all of my attempts planned when I get there and is there likely to be a chance to get the attempts changed if things aren't going as planned?

3. For warm-ups, what goes on? No idea on this, should I have a general idea of my warm-up sets and then each flight warms up together?

That's all I can think of right now but if there's any other advice you think a first timer could use then fire away, it would be much appreciated :).

Fazc 01-22-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTurner (Post 209977)
I'll be competing for the first time in a BDFPA regional meet Saturday 28th January and just wanted to hopefully get a bit of advice from some of the more experienced members here. I know markievicz is competing for the first time also and might have some questions too.

1. I have a good idea of what my openers will be, numbers that I am confident I can get on any day, good or bad but in terms of attempts 2 and 3 what kind of jump in weight would you advise?

2. This links into the first but should I have all of my attempts planned when I get there and is there likely to be a chance to get the attempts changed if things aren't going as planned?

3. For warm-ups, what goes on? No idea on this, should I have a general idea of my warm-up sets and then each flight warms up together?

That's all I can think of right now but if there's any other advice you think a first timer could use then fire away, it would be much appreciated :).

Depends on what your top weight is compared to your openers. Can you give us a rough idea of your openers and your max weights?

JTurner 01-22-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 209997)
Depends on what your top weight is compared to your openers. Can you give us a rough idea of your openers and your max weights?

Thanks for the reply and certainly.

Squat max is 165kg, I'm confident of much more and hit 160kg easy this week so was thinking of around 155kg opener to be safe. I would like to push for a strog new PB but don't want to overdo the jumps.

Bench max is 110kg, was thinking 100kg opener, confident with that and 7.5kg increases for a 5kg PB. Bench is my least confident lift.

Deadlift I've hit 200kg with a poor lockout, confident of hitting that and possible more. But conservative opener of 180kg.

Here are the videos of my squat and deadlifts this week if that helps at all.

Fazc 01-22-2012 12:11 PM

I'd say:

Squat: 155 > 165 > Go for broke

Bench: 100 > 110 > Go for broke

Deadlift: 180 > 200 > Go for broke

That way you get a second attempt at max weight if for some technical reason you fail, or you can just take a new weight for a PR. Or if all else fails just pass.

JTurner 01-22-2012 12:22 PM

Thanks Fazc, I overthink everything so it helps to get an experienced opinion. That seems the most sensible way to go about it.

Fazc 01-22-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTurner (Post 210009)
Thanks Fazc, I overthink everything so it helps to get an experienced opinion. That seems the most sensible way to go about it.

It's easy to overthink it and it's a pretty nervy experience, especially for the first time. But it's great you're getting involved!

JTurner 01-22-2012 12:42 PM

Definitely a nervy experience and it's still I week off. Once I get there and get a squat under my belt I should be fine. Glad I stumbled on MAB because I very much doubt I would be competing right now if I hadn't!

Hazzard 01-22-2012 12:49 PM

Fazc has covered your attempts, so in regards to your warm-ups, it's always good heading into the meet with an idea of what you'll be doing so you don't waste time in the warm-up room thinking about it. So if your opener is 155 then do something like 20, 60, 100, 120, 140, perhaps. You'll be warming up with your flight, and possibly another if there are two platforms, in a separate room to where the lifting is held. Or at least a cornered off area with a multitude of racks and weights. I've always found everyone to be friendly and helpful and up for some banter and spotting so you'll find it a good atmosphere.

You write your openers down on an entry form thing you'll be given at the start of the meet, along with weight, rack height, etc. You can change these up to approximately five mins before your flight starts, give or take. Again, judges and referees (well, most of them...) are friendly and helpful.

If there's anything else, feel free to ask mate.

Ryano 01-22-2012 12:50 PM

[QUOTE=

3. For warm-ups, what goes on? No idea on this, should I have a general idea of my warm-up sets and then each flight warms up together?[/QUOTE]

Remember that Warm-ups are WARM-UPS. Don't wear yourself out. I've seen to many new competitors get caught up in the warm up room "showing off their stuff". Do that on the platform. I usually do an abbreviated warmup for meets. Less reps, but same sets as a workout warmup for an ME day.

I also start warmups when the flight before me starts their 2nd attempts(for a 12-15 lifter flight). You may have to adjust that to your style/sets of warmup lifts. Just make sure you have a rest period from your last warmup before your first platform attempt. I would rather be done a little early than have to rush to the platform right after my last warmup set.

Make sure you stay hydrated between warm ups and each attempt. If it's a big meet and you have several flights, you may need to eat an energy bar or some fruit between sq-bnch or bnch -dl. Staying hydrated is most important though.

HAVE FUN and enjoy it, no matter the outcome. I also try to remember to thank the judges & spotters after my last attempt- whatever my proformace was. Good luck.

5kgLifter 01-22-2012 01:02 PM

No advice to give; just wanted to wish you good luck in the meet. :mh: