Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

There is no way to definitively predict how much bigger and stronger a person will become by running a cycle of AAS. Training, diet, rest -- all the things that matter naturally still matter.

I also am not one to compare my lifts against other people. My friends are mostly a lot bigger and stronger than am I. So, comparing what we can lift (to me) is meaningless and doesn't motivate me. I'm motivated more by making sure that I don't look small when we hang out.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
Lerho
Brawn
Points: 2,733, Level: 31 Points: 2,733, Level: 31 Points: 2,733, Level: 31
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Lerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
There is no way to definitively predict how much bigger and stronger a person will become by running a cycle of AAS. Training, diet, rest -- all the things that matter naturally still matter.

I also am not one to compare my lifts against other people. My friends are mostly a lot bigger and stronger than am I. So, comparing what we can lift (to me) is meaningless and doesn't motivate me. I'm motivated more by making sure that I don't look small when we hang out.
I also dont look smaller than my training partner, but Im a lot weaker... And it irritates me. Maybe I should take some steroids...
Lerho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerho View Post
More comments? I thought this would create some discussion... I would like my numbers go up like his...
I don't think it would get more discussion around here. People here, whether on steroids or not, are more interested in making progress than speculating on 'what ifs' or what others are doing. That's the way it should be.

Many forums fall into that deathly trap with forever speculating about what everyone else is doing and the individuals therein never making any progress themselves. Pointless activity.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
Lerho
Brawn

Lerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good postsLerho has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I don't think it would get more discussion around here. People here, whether on steroids or not, are more interested in making progress than speculating on 'what ifs' or what others are doing. That's the way it should be.

Many forums fall into that deathly trap with forever speculating about what everyone else is doing and the individuals therein never making any progress themselves. Pointless activity.
Ok, I just wanted to know if you think that his development has been exceptional or not. And how beneficial steroids are. Just discussion, nothing more..
Old 01-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerho View Post

So is he just exceptional talent or would his progression be much better still if he would use steroids (even at his age)?
Well I will say this...I am 44, almost 45, and I never deadlifted at all until about early 2008. I am now approaching a raw 700 pound deadlift. This will have taken me a little over 4 years.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who think I did it with steroids.

My honest opinion is that most people don't believe in their capabilities, don't eat enough, and don't try hard enough. When I picked up the deadlift I was coming back to training after an extended layoff. Never once did I consider limitations.

I had no clue what a good deadlift was. I just tried to improve each week. For many the mental hurdle is bigger than the physical hurdle. Some expect progress and some view big weights as impossible.

Very soon I will be training in gear (belt, deadlift suit) and I fully expect to hit an 800 deadlift. The key word in that sentence is expect. I wouldn't train if I didn't believe one more step was possible.

The physical and mental have to be locked down and squared away before any drug will be of benefit. If someone runs into wall off steroids then they will run into walls with steroids. If someone hits mental challenges off steroids they will hit mental challenges with steroids.

Right now for me lifting is 90% mental.

There are plenty of guys on steroid-type forums who aren't making very good progress at all. They are looking for the magic. They magic is inside. Progression and expectations are the gold, steroids or not. How fast you progress is up to fate.

Just my 2 cents. I am no expert. But I believe and expect.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 01-20-2012 at 04:40 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Lerho
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Well I will say this...I am 44, almost 45, and I never deadlifted at all until about early 2008. I am now approaching a raw 700 pound deadlift. This will have taken me a little over 4 years.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who think I did it with steroids.

My honest opinion is that most people don't believe in their capabilities, don't eat enough, and don't try hard enough. When I picked up the deadlift I was coming back to training after an extended layoff. Never once did I consider limitations.

I had no clue what a good deadlift was. I just tried to improve each week. For many the mental hurdle is bigger than the physical hurdle. Some expect progress and some view big weights as impossible.

Very soon I will be training in gear (belt, deadlift suit) and I fully expect to hit an 800 deadlift. The key word in that sentence is expect. I wouldn't train if I didn't believe one more step was possible.

The physical and mental have to be locked down and squared away before any drug will be of benefit. If someone runs into wall off steroids then they will run into walls with steroids. If someone hits mental challenges off steroids they will hit mental challenges with steroids.

Right now for me lifting is 90% mental.

There are plenty of guys on steroid-type forums who aren't making very good progress at all. They are looking for the magic. They magic is inside.

Just my 2 cents. I am no expert. But I believe and expect.
Thank you for opinion. I have watched your video clips and those were really impressive! But I really just wanted discussion about my friends development, he started training at age of 38 and those are the results.. Im just little "down" because I work my butt out and am falling more and more behind him even though Im younger. And I really think that his development is exceptional, comparing to me and other trainees in my gym. I only wanted broader opinion and wanted to now how good change he would have to compete in "senior class", whether he is "clean" or not... Because I think that he really should concentrate on training with his talent! Sorry about poor english, its not my mother language..
Old 01-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Less speculation and more motivation. Use him as your inspiration to become beastly. No more discussion. We want to know what you're about and what you're intentions are. Not some one we've never talked to.

You can sit there admiring others, or working towards making others admire you. Your choice.