Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!
Default My son's workout

As many of you know, my 10 (almost 11) year old son is working out for next football season. Here's a recap of today's workout...

This was a GooD one...

We started off with some sled pulls for warm-ups. I loaded the sled to 100 lbs and he fulled it forwards for 30 yards. Then he turned around and pulled it backwards for 30 yards. He then finished off with another forward pull for 30 yards. Warm-ups over...

Squat time!

He started off with 10 bodyweight squats to reinforce form. Then I handed him a 25 lb dumbbell. He looked at me and asked, "How much does this weigh?" I told him it was a miniscule 25 lbs and he was only going to do 10 squats. He thought that sounded easy enough since he did his squats last week with 15 lbs. So he cranked out 10 easy reps of goblet squats, set the dumbell down, and started walking to the Prowler.

I said, "Hold on buddy, you aint done yet. Remember, last week you did 20 reps, so this week isn't going to be easier"..."Oh Nooo..."

He grabbed the weight and cranked out 20 tough goblet squats. He huffed and puffed through the last couple of reps, then walked over to the man chair and fell into it. He said, "Those were tough!" I said , "Not as tough as the second set is going to be." Muwahaha... "Oh Nooo..."

He grabbed the weight and started squatting. The first 10 reps were pretty good with a couple of form reminders along the way. But at rep 10 he was huffing and puffing pretty good. I told him to stand there and take some breaths. Then I told him to give me a few more, he gave me three. His face was red and his eyes were bugging out. I told him that these are "Man Makers" and he's at least got to give me 15 reps. He set his jaw and cranked out two more reps. I laughed and said, "You did those too easily, you owe me five more for being so drama about it." He got mad and cranked out 5 more reps back-to-back. 2 sets of 20 reps were done!

Now he earned a rest in the Man Chair...

He said, "I thought we were going to do the Prowler but I guess you decided to make it a big squat day." I laughed and said, "I didn't say we were going to skip the Prowler, on your feet"...

He noticed right away that I had added 10 lbs to the Prowler from the last time we did it, but he was fired up. I put the names of his two arch football rivals on each handle. Right under their names I drew little smiley faces. I told him that they were his arch rivals smiling because they took his spot on the team. If you want to win your spot you are going to have to push them right in the face, and their faces are low, but remember low man wins.

1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 laps done, he's pushing like a maniac. One time he even kicked one of the smiley faces to show it who's boss, but it just kept on smiling.

Now I pointed out the big question mark I drew on the low handles. "That represents somebody you don't even know who might try to beat you for your spot." He siad that it might be a friend or somebody that he likes, and I told him that if you want to make the team then you are going to have to put that friend down.

That's when he noticed that I hadn't turned the sled around for the final lap. "You're kidding me, Low Handles?" I just smiled and nodded.

That was really a tough workout for him but he made it through and felt great about it afterwards. Progression is a Bitch
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

He'll remember days like this for a long time. Excellent confidence booster.

Glad you pulled this out of the log. So much good info and posts can be lost there.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

That is awesome!! Really kicking some butt there
Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

OffRoad, sir, I salute you! My just turned 6 year old is able to deadlift the bar, and do 2 decent form pushups. I cant wait until he is coordinated to do some bw squats.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
I cant wait until he is coordinated to do some bw squats.
Was thinking the same thing. By that time 20 rep squats won't seem like much to tackle.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

That's exactly what I did with my son; We started with working on squat form, then we moved to bodyweight squats, and then progressed into goblet squats. I start him with a box to drill the form and then remove the box later so he can do them on his own. At each new phase I reintroduce the box as it is a confidence booster but remove it when he gets the new lift figured out. Once he was able to do 30+ bodyweight squats with good form, I started him on goblet squats by holding a 6 lb medicine ball. From there we've been slowly increasing the load.

Probably next off-season I'll move him from goblet squats to the Trap Bar. I think the Trap Bar will be a nice tool for him to start pulling more progressively in a safe environment. Eventually I will have him back squatting, but probably not until he's around 13 years old. Until then his main strength builders will be the sled and the Prowler as I believe those are the safest and easiest to recover from.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I really like that progression and am going to steal it for the early teens that ask about squats.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

I think it's great that you have your son training for something he enjoys doing. Such a difference between your attitude and that of other parents who seem to think no exercise and junk food is ok. Kudos to you Off Road
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote