Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Best way to strengthen your core? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8416)

tank 12-31-2011 11:22 AM

Best way to strengthen your core?

What are some great ways to strengthen your core for power lifting? What exercises have the most carry over for strength in the big 3 lifts? How do you do them and how often?

I recently realized my core has become the weakest link in my squatting, so I think a change of ab/core work is in order. Currently, I do 3 sets of 12 standing cable crunches at the end of my workout 3 times a week. Once I can complete 3 x 12 with a weight on 2 consecutive sessions, I increase the weight.

Off Road 12-31-2011 11:35 AM

I've had the best luck with weighted sit-ups, heavy side-bends, and stiff-legged deadlifts.

tank 12-31-2011 11:45 AM

weighted sit-ups at a decline holding a plate?

Off Road 12-31-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tank (Post 202769)
weighted sit-ups at a decline holding a plate?

I've done them both on a decline and flat on the floor. I hold the weight behind my head.

BendtheBar 12-31-2011 12:26 PM

I do my weighted situps with my feel tucked under the leg extension pad on my bench. Decline would work too. I like the plate on my chest. Prime reason is that sometimes I like to go past 45 pounds and use a dumbbell.

Plate or dumbbell side bends work for me too.

LtL 12-31-2011 12:55 PM

I do leg raises, band ab's Pulldowns, kneeling cable crunches, dragon flags, weighted planks, ab' wheel or barbell rollouts, suitcase deadlifts, grapplers, the list is endless but they're mostly weighted. For bodyweight moves always go to failure.

LtL

5kgLifter 12-31-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 202798)
I do leg raises, band ab's Pulldowns, kneeling cable crunches, dragon flags, weighted planks, ab' wheel or barbell rollouts, suitcase deadlifts, grapplers, the list is endless but they're mostly weighted. For bodyweight moves always go to failure.

LtL

Looks like you've really got the core weighed up :rockon:

Kneeling woodchoppers using the cable are also excellent; ditch the standing version in favour of them.

LtL 12-31-2011 02:32 PM

Will give them a go thanks. Before I squatted 200kgs I never trained ab's but once I unracked it I realised I needed more stability to stop the damn bar wobbling so much. The work I have done this year has really helped that stability on both squats and pulls, even with heavy benching. I highly recommend it.

LtL

jslep 12-31-2011 05:17 PM

woodchoppers, weighted planks, and weighted situps are my chosen few other than that time will also strengthen the core as the weight gets heavier on squats and deads.

Quote:

Kneeling woodchoppers using the cable are also excellent
gonna have to try this

big_swede 01-01-2012 05:22 AM

The above mentioned, and also frontsquats. Great for working the core in general but targets the abs real good.