Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

How often should one work the core? I assume that weighted core work should be 2-3 times a week and bodyweight work can be every day. Also, what are the best oblique exercises?
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post
What are some great ways to strengthen your core for power lifting? What exercises have the most carry over for strength in the big 3 lifts? How do you do them and how often?

How much "direct/indirect" core work that is completed depends on the person and their goal wants/needs.

I do not know if this is applicable to you, but if I want to increase strength/endurance of the core (say when leaning), I correlate 1 to 2 indirect/direct core exercises right after a compound lift in a circuit. I have one exercise that is in rep-proportion to the compound lift, and one where the reps are lower in range as compared to the compound lift being performed. This sets the strength/endurance threshold foundation higher as compared to the core being worked during the compound lift (given time).

Here is an example:

Front Squat (switched to when restrictive dieting) 3x10
Renegade Rows: 3X 5 to 17 (feet narrow)
Decline Weighted (30-degree, tight) Sit-ups: 3X6-8

Dead Lift 3x10
Weighted Side Bend 3X10 to 15
Ab roll-out 3X6 to 8

Each exercise is basically one set repeated 3 times. Rest variable progressive focused.

Quote:
I recently realized my core has become the weakest link in my squatting, so I think a change of ab/core work is in order.
How did you come to this conclusion, tank?

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 01-01-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
tank
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: Food
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
How much "direct/indirect" core work that is completed depends on the person and their goal wants/needs.

I do not know if this is applicable to you, but if I want to increase strength/endurance of the core (say when leaning), I correlate 1 to 2 indirect/direct core exercises right after a compound lift in a circuit. I have one exercise that is in rep-proportion to the compound lift, and one where the reps are lower in range as compared to the compound lift being performed. This sets the strength/endurance threshold foundation higher as compared to the core being worked during the compound lift (given time).

Here is an example:

Front Squat (switched to when restrictive dieting) 3x10
Renegade Rows: 3X 5 to 17 (feet narrow)
Decline Weighted (30-degree, tight) Sit-ups: 3X6-8

Dead Lift 3x10
Weighted Side Bend 3X10 to 15
Ab roll-out 3X6 to 8

Each exercise is basically one set repeated 3 times. Rest variable progressive focused.

How did you come to this conclusion, tank?
i realized it when squats started getting heavy i would start to come forward a bit, so i mentally queued "hip drive" and as soon as i started raising my rear-end the bar flew upward. it was clear to me that when the weight was lighter, my core was doing more of the work because i maintained my hip angle well, but once the weight was heavier i had to really use hip drive.

on another note, i added decline weighted crunches supersetted with dumbbell side bends, 3 sets of 8 each, after cable crunches at the end of each session (3 times a week). i'll gauge how this affects my training over the next couple of weeks and adjust accordingly.

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ

Last edited by tank; 01-01-2012 at 11:47 AM.
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Quote:
i realized it when squats started getting heavy i would start to come forward a bit, so i mentally queued "hip drive" and as soon as i started raising my rear-end the bar flew upward. it was clear to me that when the weight was lighter, my core was doing more of the work because i maintained my hip angle well, but once the weight was heavier i had to really use hip drive.
Just a few questions for you.

Do you wear a belt squatting and do you focus on pushing the abdomen against the belt?

Do you focus on chest up and head back or do you watch in the mirror?

I ask because a weak core may not completely be your issue. Leaning forward on a lift on a descent or drive more often than not is a form issue not a core issue. Some tips to remember while squatting i like to use are.....

1. Big air
2. Sit butt back
3. Knees out
4. Chest out
5. Head up
6. Drive with the heels

Some things that can force you forward could be the bar is high on the neck and as you descend as you reach parallel your hips stop, your knees colapse in your head and chest move forward past the toes and all the weight is out in front of you and not centered on the drive point which should be the heels. So in a sense your in a good morning position. You can strengthen your core all day long but if your form is off you will still suffer the same grueling battle to get the weight up. First thing is if you drive more off your toes than you do your heels then form can be corrected. Not tryin to tell you your core is not the problem but rather givin you some other issues that may be a cause for a rough squat as well.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
tank
Max Brawn

tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
Just a few questions for you.

Do you wear a belt squatting and do you focus on pushing the abdomen against the belt?

Do you focus on chest up and head back or do you watch in the mirror?

I ask because a weak core may not completely be your issue. Leaning forward on a lift on a descent or drive more often than not is a form issue not a core issue. Some tips to remember while squatting i like to use are.....

1. Big air
2. Sit butt back
3. Knees out
4. Chest out
5. Head up
6. Drive with the heels

Some things that can force you forward could be the bar is high on the neck and as you descend as you reach parallel your hips stop, your knees colapse in your head and chest move forward past the toes and all the weight is out in front of you and not centered on the drive point which should be the heels. So in a sense your in a good morning position. You can strengthen your core all day long but if your form is off you will still suffer the same grueling battle to get the weight up. First thing is if you drive more off your toes than you do your heels then form can be corrected. Not tryin to tell you your core is not the problem but rather givin you some other issues that may be a cause for a rough squat as well.
i don't use a belt and i dont squat in front of a mirror. i look slightly upward, i place the bar between my traps and my rear delts and push my head back to squeeze all of it tight.

i'm pretty sure i keep my eyes straight from where my head is pointed, which would be upward, but i'm not positive, so i'll have to watch for it tomorrow and see. that could be a contributing issue.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #16
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

Either way with or without a belt i guess you can focus on really pushing the abdomen out. Don't just try to tighten it up actually take in a huge breath and force the abs outward during the entire lift. Remember knees out and drive with the heels. If you push of the toes that can rob power and you are most likely starting to lean to far forward as you come down. I myself am very guilty of these offenses.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #17
strengthseeker
New Brawn
Points: 1,146, Level: 18 Points: 1,146, Level: 18 Points: 1,146, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: squat
strengthseeker is off to a good startstrengthseeker is off to a good startstrengthseeker is off to a good startstrengthseeker is off to a good start

L-pullups work your core more than anything, which rippetoe says. I can do 30 ab-wheel rollouts in a row, but can only muster 6-8 reps for L-pullups. Give it a shot.
strengthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #18
tank
Max Brawn

i assume that's a pull-up/chin-up with your legs up at a right angle to your torso?

Old 01-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
i assume that's a pull-up/chin-up with your legs up at a right angle to your torso?
Yep!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #20
tank
Max Brawn

do the ladies arrive before or after I begin?