Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member
Quote:
that being said, the "size" that a lot guys put on while strength training hasn't had as great of an impact on my physique as it would those lifters
And, this should tell you something of value.

If I had to give an opinion on one rep range (only) developing a program around 5 to 8 reps, isn't a bad rep range to start for strength and hypertrophy; basically you are falling within the lower limit of the range. Don't get the idea I am saying that other rep ranges have their uses, they definately do---of course, dependent on bodily feedback, personal goals etc. I use higher rep ranges, (slower tempo execution, as an example), when leaning down, to assist in glucose depletion.

Its normal to start thinking that doing more/adding in more to ones routine, will improve results. Whether this is true is HIGHLY variable and depends on the person whom we are speaking about.

In my humble opinion, I believe many change their programs far too much. Assuming diet is complimenting a program one decided to act on, 4 to 6 weeks is long enough (assuming complience, consistency in this complience), to see if a program is working. If it is, then one sticks it out, until such time, it is proven to the contrary. A program simply needs adequate time to show its face. In the meantime, you study, and then study some more (on training and dietary mechanics), as you work with this current program.

Likewise, I am in the opinion, you make changes tha lean toward a "need to" as compared to a "want to"; there is simply a difference between the two when consideration is given to one's personal goal wants.

In addition, the feedback one gets can be so variable to its cause. It can be contents of diet, contents/mechanics of the training, one or the other, or both (etc, etc). And, these need to be looked at before or if a change is made in the weight routine program.

It is potentially possible, you may have to step out of this rep range scheme/program you are in currently--dependent on personal results when given adequate time. However, manipulation in which one is seeking more stimulation can come in a variety of ways, and not just from rep ranges.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 12-26-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post

it is my understanding that the low rep for strength, high rep for hypertrophy has been pretty universally accepted. am i incorrect?.
In most cases this concept is misunderstood. For the first several years of training a lifter can build a good deal of strength and muscle focusing on the 5 to 10 rep range for most compound exercises, and in most cases ranges above 12 don't make sense. (There are some exceptions like 20 rep sets of squats)

There is very little reason/need for a novice to early intermediate to go under 5 reps on any set. "Low reps" are singles, doubles and triples and really have little inherent value until a lifter has added some core strength.

For the first few years strength building and muscle building are the same thing. A powerlifter needs to add muscle to maximize strength and a bodybuilder needs to add strength to maximize muscle. They both need to get stronger to reach their goals, while also working on form and getting their reps in.

Once some good progress has been established the paths can diverge because of the unique challenges that are faced. A powerlifter may need to add low reps sets and new training techniques and approaches to push past strength barriers. He may also need to train weak areas which often involves progression in the 5-10 rep range.

A bodybuilder may need to address physique weaknesses. But even at these intermediate stages a bodybuilder still requires some form of progression.

The training styles and rep ranges stay pretty similar until a lifter begins to hit walls and find weaknesses.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-26-2011 at 12:42 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #13
tank
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

that makes sense. thanks.

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I think the guys have covered it, my 2 (more) cents.

Quote:
so are you suggesting that bodyfat will have more impact on your appearance of muscularity than rep/set schemes?
Absolutely. Excess bodyfat will blur your lines and make you appear less defined and less muscular. Less bodyfat increases the V-Taper, definition and makes the muscles more pronounced.

Lot's of muscle across the body means you can carry a little more fat and still look athletic.

Being muscularly large AND lean is the key to looking ridiculous.

Quote:
it is my understanding that the low rep for strength, high rep for hypertrophy has been pretty universally accepted. am i incorrect?
It is not universally accepted no. It is mostly an american acceptance of theory. Sarcoplasmic/Sarcomeric distinctions aren't as accepted in UK/Europe.

Quote:
like you said, someone that can lift very heavy weight may not "appear" to be able to do so because of this. also, the lifter that is very muscular, no matter his bodyfat, may not be as strong. considering this is what let me to ask my original question.
You really can't compare this on a person-to-person basis. I can't say that one person will be stronger because he's bigger than another. What is universally true is that the stronger YOU (the individual) get the bigger you will be. Providing the gain of strength is substantial enough to see a difference.

Bottom line; assuming all else is equal if you move from a 200 Bench to a 300 Bench you'll see a massive increase in muscle. Go from a 300 Bench to a 400 one and you'll see another large jump in muscle mass.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #15
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

To add to what BtB is saying...

Bodybuilding and strength training start out the same way; getting stronger on basic lifts with a moderate rep range. Once you've built your base of strength it will be very easy to tell if you were meant for bodybuilding success, powerlifting success, or if you're just stuck somewhere in the middle like the rest of us.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
tank
Max Brawn

tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

cool, thanks for your response. this is actually good news for me, because it really means i don't have to change my training at all.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #17
tank
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
To add to what BtB is saying...

Bodybuilding and strength training start out the same way; getting stronger on basic lifts with a moderate rep range. Once you've built your base of strength it will be very easy to tell if you were meant for bodybuilding success, powerlifting success, or if you're just stuck somewhere in the middle like the rest of us.
could you name some examples? (hypothetical) this is interesting to me and always has been, but i don't know much about that level of training development.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #18
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
could you name some examples? (hypothetical) this is interesting to me and always has been, but i don't know much about that level of training development.
Well, my nephew started lifting for footbal with a basic program and didn't run into any slow-downs until he was squatting and pulling over 550 lbs and pressing over 250 lbs. That shows that he's wired for strength but doesn't really have an impressive physique beyond just being massively huge. He now competes in strongman events. Meanwhile I'm working my ass off to get to a 500 squat and deadlift. I am NOT wired for strength. Others will find it extremely easy to build mass and start piling it on in gobs on their way to building their base. It won't take too long to tell if you are one of the lucky ones if you stick to a good program.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #19
tank
Max Brawn

i understand. thanks.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #20
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
I want to be so big that muggers will offer me their wallets. .
Ha ha, very good.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote