Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #61
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Hmm maybe, so I'm relatively new to it all myself.

The guys that I know who train in gear generally keep records for both raw and equipped lifts and try to push both up. Whether they do that in the same week like I'm doing and some others do, or they have an off-season where they try and move up the raw lifts.
Talking to JB I see he only trains straps down on squats. I was mistaken in thinking it was full suit. Maybe this is what I was missing in general...

He also has been training in bench suit for quit sometime, but remarked that this was a unique circumstance because of a pec issue.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #62
jp_ottawa
Max Brawn
Points: 3,380, Level: 36 Points: 3,380, Level: 36 Points: 3,380, Level: 36
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: bench press
jp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
More importantly, did you squat down to the Bosu Ball?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
^ Key word above is maximal effort. Not sure my body could handle 3 weeks of maximal effort on a lift.
How does Louie define maximal effort? I imagine working towards a max single, double or triple? Or perhaps a max single for the day such as what the Bulgarians did?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
It should also be noted that the strong westside guys rotate their lifts more frequently than every three weeks.
Apologies for the late reply -

As Lt said, max effort is 90%+ of 1RM. I rotate max effort exercises every week. Lastly I did not squat down to the Ball. Someone forgot to remove the bloody thing (!)

Regarding gear, dynamic effort work is done either raw or in briefs or suit with straps down. Max effort work is done either raw or suited. Getting into gear regularly is a good idea - I use my bench shirt one or twice a month, and squat suit and briefs more often.

Much depends on what your specific needs are. If developing raw strength is an issue, then work raw - if getting used to gear before a meet is an issue, work on that. Forget about a fixed program or hard and fast rules. My old gym had a couple of big strong guys and everyone else followed what they did. Guess what, they were the only ones getting stronger, because it was their program. Find your weaknesses, turn them into strengths.