Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Confidence and Heavy Weight

This might sound like a trivial topic but it's not. Over the years I have learned the value of having confidence when moving heavy weight.

Forget how heavy the weight feels. You have to approach eccentrics and the rep in the same way as everything else. I am not calling for you to get reckless, but I am telling you not to get overly conservative.

At times I have babied a rep because of ankle soreness, tendinitis, fear or because of a strain I incurred 3 weeks ago that I am afraid of. When I baby a rep it almost always comes back to bite me in the back end.

If you are going to perform the heavy rep, do so with confidence. If you can't, don't do the rep. That last part is key. If you don't feel like you can perform the rep in a confident manner, don't do the rep.

This isn't about bravado. It's common sense. I never perform a rep if I can't perform it safely. If I fear an old strain, I won't do a rep.

I hope this makes sense...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I guess another way of putting this is to approach every set in the same way. Don't get sloppy on your warm-ups and don't fear the big weights. Get in, get it done, get out.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Yep, I had this conversation with my training partner just yesterday. Tightness under the bar, confidence with the heavy weights it's all interrelated.

I never attempt a weight I don't think I can lift.

Think about it, it can mean different things to different people.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

I think it's a huge issue. I do get scared of the weight, especially on squats.

I consistently do better when I forget the weight, and focus exclusively on posture and breathing.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I fear deadlifts. Just something about starting that lift in a poor position for my injured back that just freaks me out. That's really why I suck at them.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I fear deadlifts. Just something about starting that lift in a poor position for my injured back that just freaks me out. That's really why I suck at them.
Ah well, I probably didn't explain myself good enough. I fear squats. But when I fear them because of an old strain I don't lift with 100% confidence.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
BigTallOx
NAS Strongman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44 Points: 4,870, Level: 44
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

BigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machineBigTallOx is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
This might sound like a trivial topic but it's not. Over the years I have learned the value of having confidence when moving heavy weight.

Forget how heavy the weight feels. You have to approach eccentrics and the rep in the same way as everything else. I am not calling for you to get reckless, but I am telling you not to get overly conservative.

At times I have babied a rep because of ankle soreness, tendinitis, fear or because of a strain I incurred 3 weeks ago that I am afraid of. When I baby a rep it almost always comes back to bite me in the back end.

If you are going to perform the heavy rep, do so with confidence. If you can't, don't do the rep. That last part is key. If you don't feel like you can perform the rep in a confident manner, don't do the rep.

This isn't about bravado. It's common sense. I never perform a rep if I can't perform it safely. If I fear an old strain, I won't do a rep.

I hope this makes sense...
Confidence is is huge. When I try for PR's, I never get them unless I KNOW I'm going to get it first.

330 farmers 40 feet 12 seconds
545 deadlift double overhand no straps
700 pound tire, 50 feet, 30 seconds

www.bigtallox.com

"BIG sums this man up. He hasn't scratched his potential yet. With some work he will be one of the top HW masters in the US if he keeps at it." - Jay Hagadorn
BigTallOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I had this come up today. I wanted to keep going up in weight on partial squats but there was just the tiniest tinge in my right hamstring. I didn't feel confident about moving up any more because the fear of injury would have been in the back of my mind.

One thing I learned playing football is that when you hold back you're just asking to get hurt. You have to let loose and go all out all the time. All it takes is one tackle or block where you hold back and things get twisted, pulled and sprained pretty quickly.

I also believe in not attempting a lift you don't think you can do. In the last few weeks I've been able to set some new PR's, and not once have I failed a lift. I could have kept moving up until I failed, but that wasn't the goal. The goal is to get stronger, not to keep going until I hurt myself.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

"If you think you'll miss it, you're right"...I've said that for years. I never get under a weight that I don't think I'll get. I've also found that "squeezing the bar like you're trying to put your fingerprints in it" helps. I think it helps remind me to get tight everywhere. If I don't get tight before I take the weight, bad things happen.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

This is so true and something I've definitely struggled with at times. From a personal experience doing heavy weights for a whole bunch of reps (not necessarily in one set) will certainly help with confidence when crushing the big singles.