Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
I think it's a huge issue. I do get scared of the weight, especially on squats.

I consistently do better when I forget the weight, and focus exclusively on posture and breathing.
I'm guilty of this, especially since my back has gone out on me. I often have to remind myself that I can do a weight for reps before I attempt it.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

My attitude may be wreckless but i no longer fear the weights period.

I have failed with 515 on my shoulders and it pushed my ass to the floor and i had to weight for some side spotters to grab it quick. (my fault i should have asked them to get in place pre lift) This strained just about every muscle in my core, blood soaked my eyes for over a month and forced out a case of Shingles due to the stress.

I also have had 365 drop on my chest nearly on my neck and had a spotter who couldn't pick it cuz he can bench but apparently can't dead. Once again had to have side spots jump in quick. During the lift my elbow unexpectantly buckled and the weight dropped in a split second.

I guess my point is once you have failed miserably and relize its not as bad as you think you can mentally push yourself harder without fear. No matter what happens in the gym i know i will recover and i won't get to where i want to be without pushing the absolute limits of what my body can do. Fear has no place in that equation. I respect the iron but i don't fear it.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

I always find myself ultra focused and mentally sharp when attempting heavy weights. I find that I tend to not take lighter weights as seriously. For heavy weights I lift with an intensity and focus that I wish I could have in everyday life.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
This strained just about every muscle in my core, blood soaked my eyes for over a month and forced out a case of Shingles due to the stress..
You squatted so hard you got shingles. Man, that's hardcore.

Powerlifts: 500/363/573 @ 220 belt only
front squat: 403
dips: bodyweight + 176 x 4
military press: 232
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #15
MikeC
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslep View Post
I guess my point is once you have failed miserably and realize its not as bad as you think you can mentally push yourself harder without fear.
Great quote.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Today was one of "those days." My body was not cooperating. My ankles were extremely tender and my hips were bothering me a bit. On top of that I have picked up a very mild amount of tendinitis in my right knee.

The weight felt heavy on my back and my mind was telling me to quit. These types of days I have to lift with authority and confidence. If I would have half-assed things today I would have picked up an injury.

Days like today I have to drop in the hole believing that if I lift how I normally lift I will be ok.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #17
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I hate those days. Stay tight and power through it big man.

On a seperate note, since fixing my form, the only time I hurt my knee now is on the walk-out. Not paying attention I guess.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #18
Davis
Max Brawn
Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41 Points: 4,207, Level: 41
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1 day
Fav Supp: More deadlifts
Davis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beastDavis is a lifting beast

What my buddy Jake(he's a strong cat) told me a few months ago when I was just messing up on my squats out of complete fear.

"since you have more strength than your squat accounts for, you just need to attack the bar more aggressively! As soon as you decide that it's time to squat, then it's time to f'ing squat. There are no interruptions, there is no second-guessing, you are king of that gym. Grip the bar hard, tune everything out and realize that your weakness is just mental."

I still haven't mastered this, but it's coming slowly and it's helped quite a bit when I can get that attitude. It may help anyone else who has a problem with a certain lift.
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:26 AM   #19
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Couple of months ago I worked up to 100kg on the bhn PP working in triples. 90 for 3 was ok but i got in doubt once 100kg was on my trapz and failed at the first rep an inch above my head and it came crashing down on trapz again.

... racked it, MTFU and did it for 3 explosive reps for a PR. Its very much mentally, if Im in doubt about lifting a weight. I will fail.

Good posts and thread.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:39 AM   #20
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
Couple of months ago I worked up to 100kg on the bhn PP working in triples. 90 for 3 was ok but i got in doubt once 100kg was on my trapz and failed at the first rep an inch above my head and it came crashing down on trapz again.

... racked it, MTFU and did it for 3 explosive reps for a PR. Its very much mentally, if Im in doubt about lifting a weight. I will fail.

Good posts and thread.
I remember that Swede, that was awesome!
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote