Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Questions that pop into my mind (randomly)...

Would a tighter focus be better, as in just focusing on the squat and accessory lifts?

Would more frequent squat sessions be better than less frequent (1x vs 3x).

Would doing 20 reppers every time I squat be best, or alternate low rep and high rep. BtB once mentioned doing 5x5 on one day and 20 reppers on another.

Or would I be best off just getting my 1RM up and increase conditioning before I revisit the 20 reppers?
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

400 X 20 would be awesome. What a great thing to aim for.

400 X 8 was my best effort a couple of years ago. I did this just after running Sheiko #29, which has you squatting and squatting and squatting. It's all low rep stuff and - from memory - in the 70 - 75% range. Despite that, I think it gave my rep work a good boost.

I was, however, doing no additional CV work, and was too gassed to have gone further even if my strength had allowed it.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Yeah that's fair enough, only reason I questioned it is if we're increasing your top strength to get a rough idea of what we're looking at.

I can try and help with increasing limit strength. Not really sure how you'd program in 20 reppers, I've never had much luck with them to me they're more of a feat of strength than a week-in-week-out training protocol.

So on to the road to 500...

I think there needs to be some sort of monthly plan rather than strictly a week-to-week or session-to-session thing. That you've stalled at 350 previously indicates there needs to be a little more variety in your training when you get that strong. I know I've been banging this drum a lot lately but a simple plan that works is to go all out for 1-2 weeks and then take a week where you just play around and let the mind and body rest. Within this context should be able to use any rep scheme or goal.

Quote:
Would a tighter focus be better, as in just focusing on the squat and accessory lifts?
In my opinion yes.

Quote:
Would more frequent squat sessions be better than less frequent (1x vs 3x).
Again yes. As long as you have some sort of system to avoid killing yourself each time.

Quote:
Or would I be best off just getting my 1RM up and increase conditioning before I revisit the 20 reppers?
I'm leaning towards this. 20 reppers are very awkward to routine for, they're far too intense to do frequently yet done infrequently they'll be even more of an injury concern.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
Off Road
Max Brawn

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
I was, however, doing no additional CV work, and was too gassed to have gone further even if my strength had allowed it.
Conditioning is such a huge factor.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I have wondered about the TUT factor, and if it would be beneficial to just plop 450 on my back, walk out, and hold it for 3 minutes. (or to build up this TUT over time)

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #16
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

On the 20 repper, how about starting with multiple sets of squats and gradually reducing the rest periods? Trevor Lane on here is squatting some big weights with very short rests. I wonder if over time that could be translated into a single high rep set.

You could also try Smolov to build your work capacity up and then swap to something a little more sane.

Just random thoughts.

"The proper study of mankind is books" - Aldous Huxley
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #17
Off Road
Max Brawn

Another thing I thought of was starting with 400 x5 and trying to add a rep a week with rest/pause beathing. "just one more rep than last time!"

Another thing I thought of was replacing the squat with something else, like the Trap Bar, for a few cycles. This might wake something up and give the mind a break.

As you can see, I've thought of a lot of different things, just need to formulate a plan.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #18
Off Road
Max Brawn

In the end, I think the best route [for me] is to stick with the basic 5/3/1 and just get stronger. Add to that a large ammount of prowler pushes and sled pulls for conditioning. Periodiaclly, after 5/3/1 squats, load the bar to about 75% and test the 20 reppers. Play with the frequency of the 20 reppers to see how it effects me. When I get in range of my goal, give it a singular focus; in other words, drop everything but the squats and pound it home.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Another thing I thought of was starting with 400 x5 and trying to add a rep a week with rest/pause beathing. "just one more rep than last time!"
I tried this for 6 months. I was obsessed with adding reps at 405. For me it was a personal plateau. I never moved more than 5 reps. The only thing I really learned was that I needed to try something different.

I think if I were to try it again I would choose a weight I could currently handle for 10 reps and try to increase weight/reps over time.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #20
Off Road
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I tried this for 6 months. I was obsessed with adding reps at 405. For me it was a personal plateau. I never moved more than 5 reps. The only thing I really learned was that I needed to try something different.

I think if I were to try it again I would choose a weight I could currently handle for 10 reps and try to increase weight/reps over time.
Good point. I think for right now the goal is going to need to be building the strength.