Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #61
JesseA
Über Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor

Breaking in the gear for me is just using it. It may take a couple months for things to settle in. However, with my Metal Ace shirt it only took a couple weeks.

For the bench shirt, starting just under my max raw bench (maybe 10% less). I take the weight down until it stops (usually a couple inches away from touching) for a few reps. This will set the shirt and begin warming up the fabric (which loosens it up a little). I then keep adding to the weight and keep trying to get closer to touching each subsequent set. If you're new to the shirt and it's really tight, you may not even get to a one board.

General rule of thumb that we use at our gym is weeks in shirt, one week out. rinse and repeat.

Suits and briefs are basically the same for breaking in, you just want to keep working into the proper depth by incrementally adding weight, with lighter weights, you will not be able to get depth (if the gear is properly sized). so just go as deep as you can until the suit/briefs stop you or you begin to fold over.

I train in squat gear every week, just switching up the brief and suit combo as well as straps up and down on the suit. For instance this week I will work to heavy triples to a box with briefs only, then next week I'll use briefs and suit without a box. There is a lot more to play around with in geared squats that I'm pretty much always using it except if I'm deloading, then I'll just do some moderate weight raw squats.

I hope this helps, I'm far from an expert on this, just sharing my experience. I've got some great coaches to work with, so most of this is just based on what I've been doing for the last six months or so since I started using the gear.
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links