Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member
Default No one cares! Squat!

I was posting in the thread about squats and thought of something that I believe deserves it's own thread. I think a lot of kids getting into lifting actually get that they need to do these lifts, but there are issues that keep them from doing it. I know that waaay back when I started lifting, I was very self conscious. I "thought" I should have been able to lift more, and when I could barely lift what I thought were pathetic weights, I abandoned the bar and went to machines.

Think about it, most of the time no one can see how much weight your lifting on a machine, if they even wanted to look, but when you're yelling and straining to get out a triple (3 rep set) with a quarter (25lb plate) on each side, everyone gets to see how weak you are.

Here's the big secret; NO ONE CARES HOW MUCH YOU LIFT.

If I see a newbie repping out deep squats with just the bar, I have WAY more respect for him than someone who can load plate after plate on a leg press, and I also know that the squatter is going to be far stronger in 3-5 years time than the leg presser will be. Are there people who will make fun of you if you lift less than them? Yes, there are. The technical term for those guys is DOUCHEBAGS. Anyone other than a real friend who's earned the right that rips on you is just revealing their own lack of self esteem. They are just like the bullies in school who made fin of you just because the only way to hide how crappy they felt about themselves was to bring everyone else down too.

I can guarantee you this; The seriously strong guys don't look down on you. They understand that everyone starts somewhere, probably more than anyone else you'll meet at a gym.

Most new trainees SHOULD start with just a bar when training the squat. There, I've given you permission. After that, any weight you put on is an improvement and trust me, the weights will go on fast. The pain you get where the bar sits goes away after a few sessions.

Will you have to use less weight to go all the way down and squat deep? Yes, you will, but you'll get far more out of squatting 100lb deep than you will out of "squatting" 300lb to half depth. Again, you'll start lighter, but you'll get stronger MUCH quicker than someone who wants to "look" better by puting more weight on the bar when they aren't ready yet.

That' also a big issue; being ready for the weights you want to lift. Again, it's an ego problem. People don't want to drop the weights back to number they can move with good form. What they fail to realize is that good form doesn't always limit how much weight you can move! It does at first, and it will feel awkward at first. Golf coaches have a saying that applies- "Feeling awkward is good. That lets you know that you changed something." But in the long run that good form will actually allow you to move larger weights. An arched low back feels weird, maybe even painful at first, but that arch allows you to support more weight as your legs get stronger. An arched, properly tucked back feels very weird at first while benching, but the ability to keep your upper back tight through the whole lift will allow to to lift much heavier loads while avoiding shoulder injury. Again, this isn't a big deal at first, but as you get stronger that good form you developed initially will allow you to continue to progress while everyone else stalls.

If you want to get seriously strong, then start with FORM. Train form, live form. Read about form and experiement with small variations and light weights to see what works for you in the context of what you've read and learned. The weights will come soon enough, and before you know it you'll be reaching respectable numbers and you'll realize an awesome truth; now that you're strong, you don't care how much weight newbies lift, as long as they do it right.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post

Think about it, most of the time no one can see how much weight your lifting on a machine.
Good point.

Quote:
Here's the big secret; NO ONE CARES HOW MUCH YOU LIFT.
Great point. I don't care how much someone lifts. I am more interested in seeing if they have a progression plan, and if they stay persistent.

When I find a trainee who stays persistent and tries to add weight, I will do everything within my power to help them reach their goals.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
MikeC
Uber Brawn
Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47 Points: 5,424, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

MikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributorMikeC is a consistent contributor

Enjoyed reading this.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

I don't care if someone looks to see what I am lifting, nonetheless care if there not. Its me and the iron, period. Everyone is out. I am not lifting to prove anything, to anyone that may be watching or not.

Thus why I train at home.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 12-05-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

Great point you make Solider!
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

I am also sick of the "are my lifts good for how much I weigh" crap that I have seen lately.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
DieselWeasel
Elite Raw Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54 Points: 6,832, Level: 54
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Supp: Whey Powder
DieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beastDieselWeasel is a lifting beast

Amen, brutha!

RPS - Open 165 Raw - 07.13.13
1365 Elite/Pro Total (475,300,590)
DieselWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Great post soldier, i agree.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
I am also sick of the "are my lifts good for how much I weigh" crap that I have seen lately.
Part of the reason I left bb.com...they are flooded with this sort of non-sense.
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
_J_
Chalk Rebel
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35 Points: 3,253, Level: 35
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Whole Milk
_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine_J_ is a lifting machine

Great points, Soldier. I watched a new face at our gym set up in the squat rack next to mine. He attached a manta to the bar and started squatting pretty light. He was going all the way down to parallel, so during a break, I said "you're doing real squats, good for you, you don't see it very often." Over the next few sets, he kept adding weight the bar, and as the weight got higher, his squat depth was reduced to a 1/2 squat. I mentally berated myself for my premature comments but couldn't bring myself to say anything else (don't want to be "that guy.")

I workout during the lunch hour and over the last few years I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen squat to parallel or below--one was a girl. When I see such a person, I truly admire them, no matter what is on the bar.
_J_ is offline   Reply With Quote