Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _J_ View Post
Great points, Soldier. I watched a new face at our gym set up in the squat rack next to mine. He attached a manta to the bar and started squatting pretty light. He was going all the way down to parallel, so during a break, I said "you're doing real squats, good for you, you don't see it very often." Over the next few sets, he kept adding weight the bar, and as the weight got higher, his squat depth was reduced to a 1/2 squat. I mentally berated myself for my premature comments but couldn't bring myself to say anything else (don't want to be "that guy.")

I workout during the lunch hour and over the last few years I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen squat to parallel or below--one was a girl. When I see such a person, I truly admire them, no matter what is on the bar.
People at my gym look at me like I'm a super hero because I can squat 3pps to parallel. That actually annoys me because I don't consider it to be a lot of weight. The reason everyone is so blown away is because there is only ONE other person at my gym who squats to parallel, and he's a powerlifter who got 2 gold metals at the last fireman games. There are a few guys who come close, but none of them really hit parallel.

Ah, I almost forgot my wife. She can put your average ATG squat to shame. She should have started oly lifting 10 years ago. She'd probably be an elite oly lifter by now.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
If I see a newbie repping out deep squats with just the bar, I have WAY more respect for him than someone who can load plate after plate on a leg press, and I also know that the squatter is going to be far stronger in 3-5 years time than the leg presser will be.
That should be the take home message to so many new lifters.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #13
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback View Post
Part of the reason I left bb.com...they are flooded with this sort of non-sense.
I almost automatically have my retard detector turned off on that site. The p/l and strongman is actually decent, but everywhere else is a cess pool.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #14
Ken Adams
Brawn
Points: 397, Level: 7 Points: 397, Level: 7 Points: 397, Level: 7
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Fav Exercise: upright rows
Fav Supp: Fried chicken & potato's
Ken Adams has made some good postsKen Adams has made some good postsKen Adams has made some good postsKen Adams has made some good postsKen Adams has made some good postsKen Adams has made some good postsKen Adams has made some good postsKen Adams has made some good postsKen Adams has made some good postsKen Adams has made some good posts

"The technical term for those guys is DOUCHEBAGS" great call!!! and cool thread

train like no ones watching
Old 12-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #15
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

I admit, during breaks in sets I sometimes watch other lifters, of all shapes and sizes because I believe I might learn something. Like all gyms, I see all sorts of lifters. You have the guys who half squat 60kg as warm ups and then go up to 100kg+ doing the same thing. Then you have the rare guys doing relatively light weights with good form and guys doing 140kg with shocking half-squat form. One of the most impressive squats I saw recently was a lad doing 120kg for 5 reps with great form and a powerlifter guy doing 190kg a shade above parallel but definitely good technique and the same lad did 115kg clean and press and 220kg deadlift. I do like watching people lift crazy heavy weights. Saw guys doing 160kg incline press with good form for reps which blew me away to be honest.

I was sharing the rack with a guy who did 3-4 reps @ 140kg one time and he was doing probably halves, not even three-quarters and he said after the set that he wasn't happy. I suggested that he go a wee bit lower by opening up the knees and using a bit of hip drive. He then said that it would 'make it too easy'. I replied that if he tried squatting 140kg or so with the form I suggested that he wouldn't find it easy. His mobile phone rang and he left the rack to me alone and didn't come back. I have seen this guy train and he is pretty damn strong, perhaps he just didn't want advice of someone not on his strength level?

Last edited by Kuytrider; 12-06-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #16
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

Great post mate, and I completely agree - way too many people are caught up on what others think in regards to how much they're lifting. Conversely to popular opinion, hardcore free weight gyms are some of the friendliest places to train as people want to see you improve.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #17
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
I admit, during breaks in sets I sometimes watch other lifters, of all shapes and sizes because I believe I might learn something. Like all gyms, I see all sorts of lifters. You have the guys who half squat 60kg as warm ups and then go up to 100kg+ doing the same thing. Then you have the rare guys doing relatively light weights with good form and guys doing 140kg with shocking half-squat form. One of the most impressive squats I saw recently was a lad doing 120kg for 5 reps with great form and a powerlifter guy doing 190kg a shade above parallel but definitely good technique and the same lad did 115kg clean and press and 220kg deadlift. I do like watching people lift crazy heavy weights. Saw guys doing 160kg incline press with good form for reps which blew me away to be honest.

I was sharing the rack with a guy who did 3-4 reps @ 140kg one time and he was doing probably halves, not even three-quarters and he said after the set that he wasn't happy. I suggested that he go a wee bit lower by opening up the knees and using a bit of hip drive. He then said that it would 'make it too easy'. I replied that if he tried squatting 140kg or so with the form I suggested that he wouldn't find it easy. His mobile phone rang and he left the rack to me alone and didn't come back. I have seen this guy train and he is pretty damn strong, perhaps he just didn't want advice of someone not on his strength level?
Interesting points. The first thing that comes to mind is that I watch people too. You're bound to do that when you have nothing to do for 2-5 minutes between sets. Maybe that's where the fear comes from because there ARE people watching you, it's just that it's not because they care as much as it may seem. My wife freaks out when I watch her do a set. She's paranoid that I'm judging her. The only thing is that I'm training her to be a powerlifter, so OF COURSE I'm judging her, because I'm trying to train her on form.

Then again, she's paranoid in general.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #18
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Great post and thread. I train early in the morning and the majority of people at that time are beginners that try and beat the busy times, which is how I got started on morning training. It's these people that really fall into this trap of not wanting to look "weak" and I've seen a lot of bad squatting as a result.

Something that really annoys me where I train is that it's used by a lot of the university sports teams, most of which seem to be the most clueless people in the weight room. They often train in groups and are all ego, thinking they're the strongest and all that BS and never passing a quarter squat (if they squat at all). How can you expect a beginner with minimal knowledge to squat properly when there's "athletes" setting such a bad example. It really gets to me and gives completely the wrong impression.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #19
Kuytrider
Max Brawn
Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60 Points: 8,127, Level: 60

Fav Supp: Protein Powder
Kuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master memberKuytrider is a master member

Good point made about the empty bar squat being better in the long-term than the many plated leg press.
However, I do feel that the leg press is a fine exercise when used in conjunction with the squat. It should not be used as a substitute however.

The main issue with the leg press is the amount of Pat Robertson reps people do. The leg press is challenging when you go knees almost to chest. Yet most people move it about 3 inches and think it's a Herculean effort. It is the machine equivalent of the quarter squat.
Kuytrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #20
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuytrider View Post
Good point made about the empty bar squat being better in the long-term than the many plated leg press.
However, I do feel that the leg press is a fine exercise when used in conjunction with the squat. It should not be used as a substitute however.

The main issue with the leg press is the amount of Pat Robertson reps people do. The leg press is challenging when you go knees almost to chest. Yet most people move it about 3 inches and think it's a Herculean effort. It is the machine equivalent of the quarter squat.
Agreed. I have no issue with the leg press. It's a great way to keep tension on the quads and build serious size. I like using it to finish my quads after some serious squatting, when my CNS is shot.

I don't use the leg press as a primary leg movement, mostly because I'm weak at it and don't care that much about improving it. Same with hack squats. I'd rather put my effort into improving squats and deads.