Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Dave Hoff 1200 squat video (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8122)

BendtheBar 12-05-2011 01:35 PM

Dave Hoff 1200 squat video

bruteforce 12-05-2011 01:40 PM

Incredible amount of weight. I've always been curious, why such a wide grip on the bar?

BendtheBar 12-05-2011 01:40 PM

I have to take a wide grip because of bulk. I can't get my hands back on a narrow grip. I would imagine Dave has the same issue.

bruteforce 12-05-2011 01:45 PM

Makes sense. Mine has to be wider than a lot of the instructional videos because of the same issue, but not to that extent yet.

BendtheBar 12-05-2011 01:49 PM

I developed issues with this about 2009. I had a perpetual strain from trying to grip normally. One of the reasons I squat exclusively with a buffalo bar now. For some it's a flexibility issue, but for bigger guys it can just be that they become so bulky that it's physically impossible to use a narrow grip.

Soldier 12-05-2011 02:02 PM

I actually use a wide grip too, with my fingertips of the plates. I started using it when a powerlifter taught me the low-bar hold, and I still feel like it lets me put the bar in a much more comfortable place. I would prefer to have them a few more inches inward so that I could squeeze the bar, but the power rack I have access to has the J-hooks in that location.

Anyways, I can easily get my hands in much closer, but it's not as easy to get the hold I want, and for some reason I also have trouble hitting depth.

LtL 12-05-2011 03:01 PM

Awesome strength and to answer the question about wide hand position my guess would be lack of shoulder flexibility combined with a low bar position. If he stays healthy Hoff will beat Donnie's WR total soon but then so could Henry Thomason...

LtL

Mr.Silverback 12-05-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 194792)
If he stays healthy Hoff will beat Donnie's WR total soon but then so could Henry Thomason...

LtL

this could happen...no doubt in my mind!

Btw, has Big Wilk done anything recently? I may be lagging behind but I haven't heard anything from him.:confused:

JTurner 12-05-2011 04:02 PM

Hoff broke the record with this squat didn't he? A 2960 total at 308. According to the westside official facebook at least and he posted on powerlifting watch too.

Some insane weight moved!

*EDIT - Just seen Donnie Thompsons 3000lbs total

J_Byrd 12-06-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback (Post 194810)
this could happen...no doubt in my mind!

Btw, has Big Wilk done anything recently? I may be lagging behind but I haven't heard anything from him.:confused:

I think Wilk just lifts raw, I saw some training videos of his a few weeks ago. He coaches high school football, so I am sure he season is just finishing up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTurner (Post 194818)
Hoff broke the record with this squat didn't he? A 2960 total at 308. According to the westside official facebook at least and he posted on powerlifting watch too.

Some insane weight moved!

*EDIT - Just seen Donnie Thompsons 3000lbs total

He broke the All Time 308 WR. Which was his training partners haha!