Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #1
Violent Volume
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts
Default Strength building: optimal training versus adaptability

On one hand we have adaptability and the bone crushing frequency and intensity of John Broz and Chaos and Pain and on the other we have Prilepin and Louie Simmons and optimal training.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/art...-training.html

Quote:
Prilepin’s 1974 research was based on numerous world, European, and Olympic competitors. He calculated minimal, maximal, and of course optimal numbers of sets and reps at certain intensity zones. His work provided us with the maximum number of reps after which the lifts would slow down and thus become less effective.
This makes for a damn good discussion as these systems seem to be saying opposite things unless I'm missing something.
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

The more I come into contact with new routines and methods the more they start to look the same, maybe a combination of senility or that they're not actually that different. I'm sure there's a bit of both in there.

You train 3 times a week for 5x5 long enough (arbitrary routine) and you'll grow to be strong enough to handle that. Which is fine if that's what you want. If you want more eventually you will need to do more.

More Volume seems to be the key, that volume has to come from somewhere either the lift itself or something else.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Violent Volume
Brawn

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts

There was a quote by Dave Tate (might have been Wendler but I think it was Tate) in which he said that most of the injuries he's seen over the course of his life came from lifters doing more than 4 reps over 90%. Could this be unique to lifting in gear?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I think that was Tate, I seem to recall it was in a piece I saw on youtube to do with HIT. I think it was anyway.

Btb and I have been doing a lot of single, doubles and triples in the 90%+ range lately, I can see where he's coming from. 90%+ for more than 3 reps is pretty touch work, form breakdown and ensuing injury is probably more likely.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Violent Volume
Brawn

Always learning. Thanks man.