Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Muscle and Brawn Shop > 10/20/Life by Brian Carroll
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

10/20/Life by Brian Carroll

Build Strength Beyond Your Wildest Dreams. 10/20/Life: Get Strong NOW

Old 12-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Powerlifting Tips: Q&A With Brian Carroll

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
BrianCarroll
Brawn

Training Exp: 20
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
BrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good posts

I will have a LOT more where this came from soon.

Be on the lookout.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
Soldier
Max Brawn

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Brian, just wanted to personally welcome you. J's been singing the praises of 10/20/life for a minute, and we're all excited to take a look. I've been keeping up with your training/recovery on EFS, so it's really great to see you hanging around MaB.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
BrianCarroll
Brawn

BrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good postsBrianCarroll has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
Brian, just wanted to personally welcome you. J's been singing the praises of 10/20/life for a minute, and we're all excited to take a look. I've been keeping up with your training/recovery on EFS, so it's really great to see you hanging around MaB.

Thanks for the welcoming. John and I have really hit it off.

Let me know what you need, and I'll be all over it.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Zak198
Brawn

Zak198 has made some very good postsZak198 has made some very good postsZak198 has made some very good postsZak198 has made some very good postsZak198 has made some very good postsZak198 has made some very good postsZak198 has made some very good postsZak198 has made some very good postsZak198 has made some very good postsZak198 has made some very good postsZak198 has made some very good posts

Brian, awesome to see you taking questions here. I always took an interest in your training and commentary on other sites, and look forward to the opportunity to read what you have to say here. I picked up the book the day it went on sale and it's a great, eye-opening read, I recommend it to any competitive lifter without reservation.

My question concerns offseason cycles, and how you handle periods where a longer period of offseason training is dictated by the competitive calendar or some circumstance (maybe 12 or 15 weeks instead of 10).

Would you typically stretch the gradual build over the longer period of time, or would you try to hit two mini-peaks, one in the middle of the offseason and one at the end?

Thanks for any thoughts man.

Squat - 490
Bench - 325
Deadlift - 567
Total - 1383 @ 217

Gym PRs (Raw):

Squat - 500
Bench - 365
Deadlift - 580
Press - 245
Zak198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
BrianCarroll
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak198 View Post
Brian, awesome to see you taking questions here. I always took an interest in your training and commentary on other sites, and look forward to the opportunity to read what you have to say here. I picked up the book the day it went on sale and it's a great, eye-opening read, I recommend it to any competitive lifter without reservation.

My question concerns offseason cycles, and how you handle periods where a longer period of offseason training is dictated by the competitive calendar or some circumstance (maybe 12 or 15 weeks instead of 10).

Would you typically stretch the gradual build over the longer period of time, or would you try to hit two mini-peaks, one in the middle of the offseason and one at the end?

Thanks for any thoughts man.
Thanks, bud.

Here's the cool thing - anything can work! I would experiment. The whole training deal is all an experiment. By writing the book, I give you tools to make the best program for YOUR needs. 12-15 weeks of offseason can work, as can 5 weeks. Depends on whats going on in your training and life.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

Brian - Most of the guys writing books and training others are far younger than me. What advice can you offer to us geezers who are working on bringing numbers up injury free?

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
BrianCarroll
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
Brian - Most of the guys writing books and training others are far younger than me. What advice can you offer to us geezers who are working on bringing numbers up injury free?
Here's the thing. Age really is just a number, but someone like myself who's abused his body for the last 15 years is really older than some guys in their 50's(relatively)

Have you read the book? I go into detail about how to go about training and life to save the body as much as possible. But if I had to give one thing, it would be what you do outside of the gym ie how you move thats most important. Also, pick your battles in the gym. Dont go too heavy all the time.