Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   10/20/Life by Brian Carroll (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Powerlifting Tips: Q&A With Brian Carroll (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8093)

BendtheBar 12-02-2011 12:04 PM

Powerlifting Tips: Q&A With Brian Carroll

BrianCarroll 04-10-2014 08:57 AM

I will have a LOT more where this came from soon.

Be on the lookout.

Thanks

Soldier 04-10-2014 03:39 PM

Brian, just wanted to personally welcome you. J's been singing the praises of 10/20/life for a minute, and we're all excited to take a look. I've been keeping up with your training/recovery on EFS, so it's really great to see you hanging around MaB.

BrianCarroll 04-11-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 471570)
Brian, just wanted to personally welcome you. J's been singing the praises of 10/20/life for a minute, and we're all excited to take a look. I've been keeping up with your training/recovery on EFS, so it's really great to see you hanging around MaB.

Thanks for the welcoming. John and I have really hit it off.

Let me know what you need, and I'll be all over it.

Zak198 04-11-2014 12:44 PM

Brian, awesome to see you taking questions here. I always took an interest in your training and commentary on other sites, and look forward to the opportunity to read what you have to say here. I picked up the book the day it went on sale and it's a great, eye-opening read, I recommend it to any competitive lifter without reservation.

My question concerns offseason cycles, and how you handle periods where a longer period of offseason training is dictated by the competitive calendar or some circumstance (maybe 12 or 15 weeks instead of 10).

Would you typically stretch the gradual build over the longer period of time, or would you try to hit two mini-peaks, one in the middle of the offseason and one at the end?

Thanks for any thoughts man.

BrianCarroll 04-13-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zak198 (Post 471823)
Brian, awesome to see you taking questions here. I always took an interest in your training and commentary on other sites, and look forward to the opportunity to read what you have to say here. I picked up the book the day it went on sale and it's a great, eye-opening read, I recommend it to any competitive lifter without reservation.

My question concerns offseason cycles, and how you handle periods where a longer period of offseason training is dictated by the competitive calendar or some circumstance (maybe 12 or 15 weeks instead of 10).

Would you typically stretch the gradual build over the longer period of time, or would you try to hit two mini-peaks, one in the middle of the offseason and one at the end?

Thanks for any thoughts man.

Thanks, bud.

Here's the cool thing - anything can work! I would experiment. The whole training deal is all an experiment. By writing the book, I give you tools to make the best program for YOUR needs. 12-15 weeks of offseason can work, as can 5 weeks. Depends on whats going on in your training and life.

bamazav 04-13-2014 03:38 PM

Brian - Most of the guys writing books and training others are far younger than me. What advice can you offer to us geezers who are working on bringing numbers up injury free?

BrianCarroll 04-14-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamazav (Post 472335)
Brian - Most of the guys writing books and training others are far younger than me. What advice can you offer to us geezers who are working on bringing numbers up injury free?

Here's the thing. Age really is just a number, but someone like myself who's abused his body for the last 15 years is really older than some guys in their 50's(relatively)

Have you read the book? I go into detail about how to go about training and life to save the body as much as possible. But if I had to give one thing, it would be what you do outside of the gym ie how you move thats most important. Also, pick your battles in the gym. Dont go too heavy all the time.