Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast
Default Used Equipment Resource

I am kind of in the market for a power rack and some more weight if I get the power rack. I am looking for a good deal right now, not in a rush to buy anything. Still not sure if I would buy anything if it was a good deal. Just browsing and looking for the right equipment. I think a 7 ft power rack will just fit in my basement. So I am looking for something like that, shorter if I can find it.

Has anybody ever bought any used equipment off the internet? I have heard there are some site that specialize in selling used equipment but I can not seem to find anything too great on the internet.

Just wondering, I know a lot of guys here train at home. wanted to know if you guys bought your stuff new or possibly used?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
bamazav
Bigger, Stronger, BAMA!
Max Brawn
Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97 Points: 26,424, Level: 97
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Squats
Fav Supp: Deadlifts
bamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master memberbamazav is a master member

I know that there is a place in the St. Louis area that is pretty good. A freind of mine picked up a leg press pretty cheap there. I will have to contact him to find out the name. Craigslist is also helpful, just be very specific in your search or posts. Post exactly what you are seeking and see what Happens. I picked up a commercial bench set up and a commercial decline bench set up for free, had the advantage of getting them for the church so I could offer a tax deduction letter. Post, worse that can happen is nothing will happen.

Meet Maxes: Gym Maxes:
Squat 308 315
Bench 176 185 This WILL change!
Deadlift 408 375

Shooting for a 1000+ total for next meet, spring/summer 2015. (see quote below)

"If there is nothing you can improve on, your standards are too low!" - BAMA Strength Coach Scott Cochran

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified
bamazav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I went new. I thought about a used rack but you pretty much have to find one locally unless you get a guy who will tear it down and ship.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
ehubbard
Raw/Multiply Powerlifter
Max Brawn
Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66 Points: 9,852, Level: 66
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
ehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beastehubbard is a lifting beast

Rack, barbells, bench were all new. Plates were all used. Bought a used 45 degree hyper and if I could do it over again I would get a new one from EFS. Also got a Plate Loaded Lat Pulldown / Low Row used and it works fine. Just get the Westside R3 rack already. DO NOT SKIMP ON YOUR RACK!!! You can get a decent sturdy bench from NYBB, but the Econo EFS version looks pretty good to. Just make sure that whatever bench / dumbell bench you get that it is competition height and width.
ehubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Thanks for the input guys, I am definitely going to throw an ad up on craigs list and see what happens. I also found a number for a place that possibly has used fitness equipment, although it might be a little shady. I am also debating on buying new, I am up in the air right now.

The debate will go on in my head. Whether or not I want to commit to building a home gym. It would be an easier choice if it was my own house, but I still live the parents. Only time will tell, lol.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I don't have a power rack, but what about the homemade really sturdy wooden ones could that be a viable option? (for you, I mean)
Old 11-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
jwood
Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn

Check this out guys, tough to tell the actual quality of the squat rack but the guy thinks it is only about 6'6'' which would be perfect.

He is asking 100 bucks for the rack, 400 for everything. I might have to check this stuff out.

Edit: I guess it would help if I provided the link, haha.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/spo/2702752230.html

Last edited by jwood; 11-24-2011 at 10:54 AM.
jwood is online now   Reply With Quote