Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn
Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50 Points: 6,038, Level: 50
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 7
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Squat
T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine
Default OHP and Push Press

Question: Would it be wrong of me to push press the last couple reps of my OHP to complete the set? I'm talking about just the last one or two.

I reason that it's better than not repping them at all.

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Nothing wrong with it as long as you don't count it as progression.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn

T-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machineT-Bone is a lifting machine

So this is part of what I did today:

Push Press - 115x8, x7, x5 - PB
OHP - 75x12 x9, x10

Regarding the OHP, on the two later sets reps 9, and 9-10 were pushed. So I should have counted it as:

OHP - 75x12 x8, x8.

"There's nothing wrong with being a large mammal." - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison - The Doors (1991)

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
Old 11-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

You could record it as 75 x 12, 8+1, 8+2.
But doing push presses on the second set will slow progression on the third and make it hard to track. I would have done 75 x 12, 8, 8+2. Use the push presses to extend the last set. But that's just my 2 cents.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn

Thanks for the responses Off Road. Progress has been slow, but pound by pound, rep by rep I'll get there.

Sergey Krastio Trelawny
Old 11-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
jslep
Max Brawn
Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68 Points: 10,539, Level: 68
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Exp: 15 years
Fav Exercise: bench and moar bench
Fav Supp: red meat
jslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beastjslep is a lifting beast

in my opinion you should only use cheat reps in the last set. if you use them in the second like OR said you could diminish progression in the 3rd and if done 4th set. progression comes in many forms. it doesn't only have to be an increase in weight for a set amount of reps. it can be done with less weight and more reps so you could change this up. for me tho i would either stick to a strick press or just do push press the whole set.
jslep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

My opinion on this is that, I think the push press and OHP should be treated as separate movements. So, anytime you OHP, I am of the opinion you shouldn't just automatically start push pressing as soon as it gets hard. Stick to form, do what you can't and get it next time and try to progress.
Having said all that, throwing in advanced techniques every so often isn't a bad idea, when used appropriately. OHP to near failure and then continuing on using the push press is conceptually very similar to that of utilizing drop sets. And it can certainly be argued that a technique like this when used from time to time is beneficial.

That is just my thoughts on the subject.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I'm with josh, they are different animals. If you want to increase your lock-out, push press like a mad man. If you want to increase your initial push, military press, and scrabble to lock out.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:19 AM   #9
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

If you're already doing push press as your main exercise with strict press as assistance then no I wouldn't cheat the last few rep's. Different exercises for different goals. Keep them separate.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
T-Bone
The Beardo Weirdo
Max Brawn

Thanks guys, good advice all around. The push press is my main press, with OHP as assistance, I will not mix them, and progress rep by rep.

Sergey Krastio Trelawny