Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   OHP and Push Press (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7964)

T-Bone 11-18-2011 05:48 PM

OHP and Push Press

Question: Would it be wrong of me to push press the last couple reps of my OHP to complete the set? I'm talking about just the last one or two.

I reason that it's better than not repping them at all.

Off Road 11-18-2011 06:25 PM

Nothing wrong with it as long as you don't count it as progression.

T-Bone 11-18-2011 06:49 PM

So this is part of what I did today:

Push Press - 115x8, x7, x5 - PB
OHP - 75x12 x9, x10

Regarding the OHP, on the two later sets reps 9, and 9-10 were pushed. So I should have counted it as:

OHP - 75x12 x8, x8.

Off Road 11-18-2011 06:56 PM

You could record it as 75 x 12, 8+1, 8+2.
But doing push presses on the second set will slow progression on the third and make it hard to track. I would have done 75 x 12, 8, 8+2. Use the push presses to extend the last set. But that's just my 2 cents.

T-Bone 11-18-2011 07:15 PM

Thanks for the responses Off Road. Progress has been slow, but pound by pound, rep by rep I'll get there.

jslep 11-18-2011 07:48 PM

in my opinion you should only use cheat reps in the last set. if you use them in the second like OR said you could diminish progression in the 3rd and if done 4th set. progression comes in many forms. it doesn't only have to be an increase in weight for a set amount of reps. it can be done with less weight and more reps so you could change this up. for me tho i would either stick to a strick press or just do push press the whole set.

BigJosh 11-18-2011 07:53 PM

My opinion on this is that, I think the push press and OHP should be treated as separate movements. So, anytime you OHP, I am of the opinion you shouldn't just automatically start push pressing as soon as it gets hard. Stick to form, do what you can't and get it next time and try to progress.
Having said all that, throwing in advanced techniques every so often isn't a bad idea, when used appropriately. OHP to near failure and then continuing on using the push press is conceptually very similar to that of utilizing drop sets. And it can certainly be argued that a technique like this when used from time to time is beneficial.

That is just my thoughts on the subject.

MikeM 11-19-2011 01:33 AM

I'm with josh, they are different animals. If you want to increase your lock-out, push press like a mad man. If you want to increase your initial push, military press, and scrabble to lock out.

LtL 11-19-2011 04:19 AM

If you're already doing push press as your main exercise with strict press as assistance then no I wouldn't cheat the last few rep's. Different exercises for different goals. Keep them separate.

LtL

T-Bone 11-19-2011 08:25 AM

Thanks guys, good advice all around. The push press is my main press, with OHP as assistance, I will not mix them, and progress rep by rep.