Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
tank
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor
Default Powerlifting and cardio

What are your opinions on what point in a powerlifters career he or she should begin incorporating cardio?

What type of cardio?

How often?

What time of day?

Any other information you want to add! Thanks bros.

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Disciple X
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

Most powerlifters dispise cardio...

Elite fts and westside both promote the sled or prowler for "conditioning" there are a ton of articles about them. Google and Read up
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
tank
Max Brawn

tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple X View Post
Most powerlifters dispise cardio...

Elite fts and westside both promote the sled or prowler for "conditioning" there are a ton of articles about them. Google and Read up
yeah i've seen that. i was looking for personal opinions and experiences though.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I know that if I were to take up powerlifting specifically then I would use my sled at least once a week for conditioning. I don't get to very much these days because I have to do more traditional cardio, but I know for a fact that it kills my maximal strength. In the past couple months I've been able to bust out more and more reps with some pretty serious weights, but my miximal strength has stopped is not gone down a bit.

Because of my personal experiences, I know that for powerlifting I would not do traditional cardio. I'd use that energy in the gym with tons of heavy triples and doubles.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I feel some form of cardiovascular training is beneficial.

Anaerobic training usually translates for me into other sports, and I find I can dig deeper for that burst when needed. But anaerobic ability is not enough.

There are many times in the weight room as I age where I find my aerobic ability lacking. When I was young I had both aerobic and anaerobic conditioning. I was rarely limited on set performance. Now, I often am limited.

Aerobic conditioning can help, but how much you need is individual. If you have to wait in between sets because if takes 5 minutes to catch your breathe...cardio might be a good choice.

The point of strength training is to build strength. The goal is to perform the next set after some amount of your strength has returned. If this period is being lengthened due to poor conditioning, or if you are winded in the middle of sets, or if your poor conditioning makes it hard to push for an hour, time for some cardio.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
tank
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I feel some form of cardiovascular training is beneficial.

Anaerobic training usually translates for me into other sports, and I find I can dig deeper for that burst when needed. But anaerobic ability is not enough.

There are many times in the weight room as I age where I find my aerobic ability lacking. When I was young I had both aerobic and anaerobic conditioning. I was rarely limited on set performance. Now, I often am limited.

Aerobic conditioning can help, but how much you need is individual. If you have to wait in between sets because if takes 5 minutes to catch your breathe...cardio might be a good choice.

The point of strength training is to build strength. The goal is to perform the next set after some amount of your strength has returned. If this period is being lengthened due to poor conditioning, or if you are winded in the middle of sets, or if your poor conditioning makes it hard to push for an hour, time for some cardio.

very good rule, thanks.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
wesrman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Chin Ups
wesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributor

Cardio = heart and lung health. If you neglect your heart and lungs you will pay for it at some point.

What kind of cardio, how often etc is up to you and how you respond to it. Take opinions and experiment.

Good luck.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

cardio and powerlifting is like putting your sister in the whore house lol!

You want to do some general health stuff. I just shorten my rest time on aux work and walk from time to time. The theory about lifters need to be in cardiovascular shape to make it through the meet I just dont buy. I have never had any issues finishing the meet, and normally finish strong. Sled pulls are good, prowler if you have one, but when it comes down to hit, just do something to get your heart rate going.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
tank
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
cardio and powerlifting is like putting your sister in the whore house lol!

You want to do some general health stuff. I just shorten my rest time on aux work and walk from time to time. The theory about lifters need to be in cardiovascular shape to make it through the meet I just dont buy. I have never had any issues finishing the meet, and normally finish strong. Sled pulls are good, prowler if you have one, but when it comes down to hit, just do something to get your heart rate going.
lol. nice analogy. out of curiousity how often, if ever, do you guys get blood/cholesterol checked out?

Old 11-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

I get mine checked every 4-6 months.
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote