Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member
Default Board Pressing for the RAW lifter

thanks all for your thoughts on the last topic "Box squatting for RAW lifter" would like your opinions on this topic. I'm talking about 2 and 3 boards...nothing higher. Experience and stories welcome!
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

I've wondered the same thing. I bet they'd be great for the triceps as well as priming the body to get used to holding heavier weights, but I haven't been able to mess with them because I train alone.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I think they'll work for the reasons Solider and Offroad stated, they'll allow you to handle heavier loads making your actual bench numbers feel lighter right out of the rack. Might not stop you getting stapled at the bottom but that's a different story.

Although I'll disagree with Offroad about the Pin Presses, I think they're dangerous. If you don't get the right groove from the off they can be awkward at best and you may risk injury at worse. I'd much rather take from the rack and bring down to the boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier View Post
I've wondered the same thing. I bet they'd be great for the triceps as well as priming the body to get used to holding heavier weights, but I haven't been able to mess with them because I train alone.
You know even a (suit) belt works for holding the boards in place as long as it's big enough. I've also used old bands and I've even just shoved them under a large baggy jumper.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Although I'll disagree with Offroad about the Pin Presses, I think they're dangerous. If you don't get the right groove from the off they can be awkward at best and you may risk injury at worse. I'd much rather take from the rack and bring down to the boards.
You are correct. That's why I always take the bar off the saddles and lower it to the pins, just like a board press. I should have mentioned that.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
You are correct. That's why I always take the bar off the saddles and lower it to the pins, just like a board press. I should have mentioned that.
Ahh I getcha.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn

Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I think they'll work for the reasons Solider and Offroad stated, they'll allow you to handle heavier loads making your actual bench numbers feel lighter right out of the rack. Might not stop you getting stapled at the bottom but that's a different story.

You know even a (suit) belt works for holding the boards in place as long as it's big enough. I've also used old bands and I've even just shoved them under a large baggy jumper.
After I made that post I started thinking of the same ideas. Once I'm done with basic training and trying to build strength again I'm planning on using a ton of partials. It's uncharted territory for me.

I've tried pin presses from the pins and hated them. I couldn't go any heavier on those than I could on normal bench because of not being in the groove.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I think they are a good option if you have healthy shoulders and the ability to train heavy on a weekly/near weekly basis. They allow time under heavier loads, which is always good for confidence, the CNS and tendon/ligament strength.

I also like that boards allow you a chance to work on form/eccentrics with supra-maximal weight.

I do believe that for a raw lifter things like a Ram/Sling Shot might (might, jury still out) provide equal benefit in some cases, while also being easier on the shoulders.

If you're like me and can't handle heavy raw sessions week in and week out, then adding board work isn't really an option.

I train solo and use a large belt to hold the 2x4s in place. Works well.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Soldier
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I do believe that for a raw lifter things like a Ram/Sling Shot might (might, jury still out) provide equal benefit in some cases, while also being easier on the shoulders.
There's another piece of equipment I'm going to pick up at some point.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I think they would be good for a raw lifter in that they give you variation and allow you to handle greater weights. If you train alone you can do pin presses, although the weight may initially be lighter because you have to start the weight from a dead stop. I personally love pin presses from different heights, really hits the triceps and amazingly enough the chest. They can be intense though so don't overdo them.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
Fazc
Max Brawn

You know, another shout out for the Slingshot I haven't even had an inkling of a shoulder strain since I started using it.

Not saying it would transfer to my raw bench because I'm not sure it does, but it sure saves the shoulders on a week-to-week basis.