Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Board Pressing for the RAW lifter (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7950)

Mr.Silverback 11-17-2011 01:31 PM

Board Pressing for the RAW lifter

thanks all for your thoughts on the last topic "Box squatting for RAW lifter" would like your opinions on this topic. I'm talking about 2 and 3 boards...nothing higher. Experience and stories welcome!

Soldier 11-17-2011 01:38 PM

I've wondered the same thing. I bet they'd be great for the triceps as well as priming the body to get used to holding heavier weights, but I haven't been able to mess with them because I train alone.

Off Road 11-17-2011 02:10 PM

I think they would be good for a raw lifter in that they give you variation and allow you to handle greater weights. If you train alone you can do pin presses, although the weight may initially be lighter because you have to start the weight from a dead stop. I personally love pin presses from different heights, really hits the triceps and amazingly enough the chest. They can be intense though so don't overdo them.

Fazc 11-17-2011 02:14 PM

I think they'll work for the reasons Solider and Offroad stated, they'll allow you to handle heavier loads making your actual bench numbers feel lighter right out of the rack. Might not stop you getting stapled at the bottom but that's a different story.

Although I'll disagree with Offroad about the Pin Presses, I think they're dangerous. If you don't get the right groove from the off they can be awkward at best and you may risk injury at worse. I'd much rather take from the rack and bring down to the boards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soldier (Post 189929)
I've wondered the same thing. I bet they'd be great for the triceps as well as priming the body to get used to holding heavier weights, but I haven't been able to mess with them because I train alone.

You know even a (suit) belt works for holding the boards in place as long as it's big enough. I've also used old bands and I've even just shoved them under a large baggy jumper.

Off Road 11-17-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 189956)
Although I'll disagree with Offroad about the Pin Presses, I think they're dangerous. If you don't get the right groove from the off they can be awkward at best and you may risk injury at worse. I'd much rather take from the rack and bring down to the boards.

You are correct. That's why I always take the bar off the saddles and lower it to the pins, just like a board press. I should have mentioned that.

Soldier 11-17-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 189956)
I think they'll work for the reasons Solider and Offroad stated, they'll allow you to handle heavier loads making your actual bench numbers feel lighter right out of the rack. Might not stop you getting stapled at the bottom but that's a different story.

You know even a (suit) belt works for holding the boards in place as long as it's big enough. I've also used old bands and I've even just shoved them under a large baggy jumper.

After I made that post I started thinking of the same ideas. Once I'm done with basic training and trying to build strength again I'm planning on using a ton of partials. It's uncharted territory for me.

I've tried pin presses from the pins and hated them. I couldn't go any heavier on those than I could on normal bench because of not being in the groove.

Fazc 11-17-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 189958)
You are correct. That's why I always take the bar off the saddles and lower it to the pins, just like a board press. I should have mentioned that.

Ahh I getcha.

BendtheBar 11-17-2011 02:23 PM

I think they are a good option if you have healthy shoulders and the ability to train heavy on a weekly/near weekly basis. They allow time under heavier loads, which is always good for confidence, the CNS and tendon/ligament strength.

I also like that boards allow you a chance to work on form/eccentrics with supra-maximal weight.

I do believe that for a raw lifter things like a Ram/Sling Shot might (might, jury still out) provide equal benefit in some cases, while also being easier on the shoulders.

If you're like me and can't handle heavy raw sessions week in and week out, then adding board work isn't really an option.

I train solo and use a large belt to hold the 2x4s in place. Works well.

Fazc 11-17-2011 02:25 PM

You know, another shout out for the Slingshot I haven't even had an inkling of a shoulder strain since I started using it.

Not saying it would transfer to my raw bench because I'm not sure it does, but it sure saves the shoulders on a week-to-week basis.

Soldier 11-17-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 189964)
I do believe that for a raw lifter things like a Ram/Sling Shot might (might, jury still out) provide equal benefit in some cases, while also being easier on the shoulders.

There's another piece of equipment I'm going to pick up at some point.