Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #11
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
Interesting Faz. The problem I personally have with that is that I'm not disciplined enough to do something so fluid without trying crazy heavy weights every time, which would just kill my CNS and ability to progress.
I'm the same way, I'm built and wired for heavy max attempts so I just roll with it. Go nuts for two/three weeks and attempt crazyass PRs each time then take a week off.

Food for thought anyway.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I'm the same way, I'm built and wired for heavy max attempts so I just roll with it. Go nuts for two/three weeks and attempt crazyass PRs each time then take a week off.

Food for thought anyway.
I love just busting a PB every week, but that's easier said than done! Thank you mate, I certainly appreciate the input.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

When I was over 400, I did it by unconventional means. I was stupid, but what I did apparently worked for me. I was working with 4x10 with as heavy as I could go, generally 315 or higher. But I also practice with a lot of sub-maximal 3x3 sets. More or less, the bulk of my bench work was grinding out high volume reps, which I believe paid off for me.

I typically work with very high intensities on bench, even to this day. Its not uncommon for me to max out or do sets with my current max once every week or two weeks. But unlike most, my body doesn't seem phased or taxed by this style of training, like it does on deadlift and squats. I may be weird though, since my chest is structured considerably different from most.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #14
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
When I was over 400, I did it by unconventional means. I was stupid, but what I did apparently worked for me.
Not stupid at all. I did a lot of high rep work myself, usually favouring 3x10 the past few years. It's only really been this July/August that I got back into the lower rep ranges exclusively and when I did my Bench had moved up considerably.

Mixing it up seems to work.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

It wasn't the high volume that killed me, it was the lack of back work - I never pulled. That was the stupid part. Trust me, I learned my lesson, and now I'm the biggest advocate of balance you'll ever find.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #16
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Not stupid at all. I did a lot of high rep work myself, usually favouring 3x10 the past few years. It's only really been this July/August that I got back into the lower rep ranges exclusively and when I did my Bench had moved up considerably.

Mixing it up seems to work.
As long as you progress in weight with your 3-4x10, you're still increasing your 1RM. Progression is progression - high volume or low volume, it all contributes to your 1RM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:30 AM   #17
Fazc
Max Brawn

Definitely, Shadow.

Hazzard, I got to looking at my old logs and yeah I was very enthusiastic about the Smolov Jr at the time. I think I just got sidetracked afterwards or else I probably could and should have continued to use it.

I started off relatively conservatively, rounding everything down to the nearest 5kg. 100-115 in 4 weeks. I don't expect you'll get the same gain at your strength level (you might!) but it certainly worked.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #18
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

Awesome, glad to were enthusiastic about it - definitely going to give it a shot now, cheers man!

And don't worry, trying to lose weight is on hold for now - just going to try and eat better.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #19
Fazc
Max Brawn

Smolov Jr. Calculator
Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #20
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn

Keep me posted on your progress. And when I decide to get my fat ass back in the gym, I'll race ya to 400.