Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
tank
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor
Question Westside, 5/3/1, and decisions

Bros,

Currently i'm running madcow's 5x5 and being the proactive individual that i am, i am researching ahead of time for my next routine. i wanted to know everyone's opinions on the pros and cons of various powerlifting routines for the intermediate lifter of which you have knowledge or experience.

i hear and see westside barbell method, for example, every place i turn, but recently i read an interesting article concerning height and proportion and the difference in efficiency of a person's levers.

in a nutshell, the article explained a shorter person has more efficient levers as opposed to a taller person with longer limbs. because of this, the shorter individual should experience a greater level of success with increasing weight in a progressive overloading method.

the longer limbed individual is, unlike his shorter counterpart, inclined to have sticking points in lifts due to the comparatively inefficient levers that the westside barbell method of bands, chains, and box squats is perfect for working through.

because the westside method works for both shorter and taller individuals, thus the majority of weightlifters who try the system, while other methods do not work as well for taller lifters it seems reasonable to me that is the cause for the popularity of the program.

i am somewhat lost in the fray of information concerning appropriate training approaches for an intermediate lifter of "shorter stature", or if levers and height should have as much bearing as what I'm giving it at this point in my training career.

so, after my rambling, to reiterate:

What are everyone's opinions on the pros and cons of various powerlifting routines for the intermediate lifter of any program with which you have knowledge or experience?

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links