Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
tank
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor
Question Powerlifting: Are you eating enough?!

In general, is the presence of body fat, let's say over 15%, an indication that a powerlifter is eating enough to gain size/weight?

Does body fat % have to start dropping to indicate a need to eat more?

Is it possible to maintain a certain level of body fat while still not eating enough to gain size/weight?

I hope my point is clear, and that I phrased this series of questions properly.

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Powerlifters generally aren't concerned by bodyfat percentage. What we care about is how close we are to our weight class limit and how strong we are.

As a general rule of thumb: if you're a powerlifter trying to gain weight and you think you aren't eating enough, eat more

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post
In general, is the presence of body fat, let's say over 15%, an indication that a power lifter is eating enough to gain size/weight?
If I understand this question, correctly, the answer is no. Because the question is far too general, and does not take into account the individual particulars (genetics, and other aspects that are important) of the power lifter.

Quote:
No. One can lose muscle and not lose any fat tissue at all; exampling a possible deficit of some sort (macros/calories). And, one can maintain BF, and increase muscle mass.

Quote:
Is it possible to maintain a certain level of body fat while still not eating enough to gain size/weight?
Yes. This can depend on the person and many personal particulars (such as training or not, length of dietary trend, size of deficits, etc, etc) taken into consideration, but after a time, the body does make metabolic adaptions (slows down metabolic expensive biological processes, while speeding up others), and one's MT-line can change over time (due to weight and other considerations), In addition, the body does not discriminate, it WILL eat muscle just as much as fat for dinner to maintenance itself. And, dependent on the diet/macros (and activity, genetics) it is POSSIBLE that the body can partition calories for use in muscle wasting (eating) than fat, thus leaving BF about the same, while losing muscle (for example). It just DEPENDS. IMHO.

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 11-14-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

You should do a lot of reading... Answers to your questions don't always supply the reason why, which is often more important than the answer itself.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Just going to throw this out there to add to what's been said already:

Soviet Height - Weight Chart - Weightlifting Exchange
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

I'm with Chillen on this one. It really depends on the person. I'm still able to drop fat and add strength currently. Others may not be. If you're within a couple pounds of the upper limit of your weight class, then you may need to look at other things to improve recovery. In general though, if you have to ask " Am I eating enough" then the answer is no.
bruteforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I really like porkchops.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
I really like porkchops.
They are delicious. I grilled 5 of them Saturday, all are gone now...
bruteforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

I like Grilled Peanut Butter/chocolate whey Pita pockets...

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post
In general, is the presence of body fat, let's say over 15%, an indication that a powerlifter is eating enough to gain size/weight?

I hope my point is clear, and that I phrased this series of questions properly.
No..IMO

No...IMO

Yes...IMO

Reason being because the body is designed to self preserve and will hold on to anything if it feels its not being adequately fed. Generally PLers arent concerned about BF as they are strength, is this always good? Depends on you! However, do think that these guys are far from healthy or athletic! I know a few that will surprise you ;-) I am rambling because I am full, so I hope I was a bit clear!

Again this is just my perspective as I am a trainer,nutritionist, and PLer and I have varied in weight (320-220s) Bottomline though it all depends on YOU!
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote