Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #31
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I spent a year in the "squat and bench grind zone" and lived with quite a few constant strains. This year I really focused on improving eccentric speed and it has been my healthiest training year yet. Virtually strain free, except for some lingering strains from my raw bench session at my powerlifting meet.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #32
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

All fascinating stuff. If my memory serves me correctly, it's the eccentrics that contribute more to DOMS, because they're responsible for more micro-trauma to muscle fibres than the concentric part of the lift. So perhaps it follows that eccentrics are also traumatic for other tissues?
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #33
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
All fascinating stuff. If my memory serves me correctly, it's the eccentrics that contribute more to DOMS, because they're responsible for more micro-trauma to muscle fibres than the concentric part of the lift. So perhaps it follows that eccentrics are also traumatic for other tissues?
That would be my guess based on experience and some of the information I have read.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-28-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #34
statirasman
New Brawn
Points: 1,601, Level: 23 Points: 1,601, Level: 23 Points: 1,601, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 Year off and on
Fav Supp: Heavy weights.
statirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good postsstatirasman has made some very good posts

Outstanding info here, I have always been slow on the decent of both the bench and squat and have sucked on those lifts. Go figure!!!
statirasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #35
DL93
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

DL93 is off to a good startDL93 is off to a good startDL93 is off to a good start

My intermediate template:

Monday

Bench Press - 5 singles
Rack Lockouts - 5 sets of 5
Barbell Rows - 5 sets of 5
Dumbbell Bench Press - 5 sets of 10
Rearward Shrugs - 5 sets of 10

Tuesday

Squat - 5 singles
SLDLs - 5 sets of 10
Leg Press - 5 sets of 8-10
Abs - 5 sets of 12

Thursday

Overhead Press - 5 singles
Overhead Lockouts - 5 sets of 5
Dumbbell Rows - 5 sets of 8-10
Dumbbell Shoulder Press - 5 sets of 10
Upright Rows - 5 sets of 8-10

Friday

Deadlifts - 5 singles
Rack Deadlifts - 5 sets of 5
Leg Curls - 5 sets of 10
Abs - 5 sets of 12

Not too much different, just wanted to change a few things. Let me know how it looks!
DL93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #36
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL93 View Post
Not too much different, just wanted to change a few things. Let me know how it looks!
Looks like you've got the right idea. Good luck.

I'm glad people are still finding this useful.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #37
Snowman
Points: 377, Level: 7 Points: 377, Level: 7 Points: 377, Level: 7
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Snowman is off to a bad start

Hello,

Maybe later this summer I may have time to start training properly so I may want to train with the beginner version ( only one assistance lift).

My best lifts are: Bench 230lb, squat 240lb, press 140lb and deadlift 350lb. My question is where to start and how to progress? Do I increase 5lb every week with both rep schemes (5x5 and 5x1)? Do I cycle the weight when I hit plateau or something else?

Sincerely

Niko
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #38
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Hello,

Maybe later this summer I may have time to start training properly so I may want to train with the beginner version ( only one assistance lift).

My best lifts are: Bench 230lb, squat 240lb, press 140lb and deadlift 350lb. My question is where to start and how to progress? Do I increase 5lb every week with both rep schemes (5x5 and 5x1)? Do I cycle the weight when I hit plateau or something else?

Sincerely

Niko
Hi Niko,

I'm not sure if the author would recommend the same thing, but I will try and help.

I would ease into the singles work. Start about 85% and add weight when they feel manageable. This might not sound helpful, but after a few weeks of singles you will start to know what I mean.

Do not cycle the weight. Each week go in and hit your singles. Add weight when you can.

I would put the idea of plateaus out of your mind. This is a different style of training, one where the mental challenge is just as difficult as the physical. One week 5 singles will feel impossible. The next manageable. You play things by ear each workout, adding 5 pounds after days when the weight feels easier.

The first couple months on a program like this are interesting. After several weeks of adaptation you should start to pick up confidence and steam.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #39
Snowman
Points: 377, Level: 7 Points: 377, Level: 7 Points: 377, Level: 7
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Snowman is off to a bad start

Yeah, it makes sense not going up with singles every week. But how about those 5x5 weights; where to start? Do I need to start light and build up every week or try to stick with the same weights for weeks like in singles?

Thanks Bendthebar
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #40
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I ran this program for 4-5 months last year. I liked it and made a lot of gains on it, but it does grind you down after a while. Hitting singles every week wears on you mentally as well as physically, so watch that as you go along. When you start to dread grinding out all those singles is the time to deload, or drop back and reset to start over, or change routines to something with less intensity.

Yeah, start at 85% for the singles and when you hit all 5 comfortably which should be the first week, add 5 lbs and go again. You will get to a point where you won't get all 5 singles after a bit. You stay at that weight until you can hit all 5 then add 5 lbs and so on. Be sure to take the full 5 min rest between singles as that will help a lot as you progress.

The 5x5 sets are at 80% of your single weight. So if you're at 240 bench for singles, your 5x5's would be with 190. Form is more important than weight with these sets. The weight shouldn't be too taxing, but stop the set if you don't think the next rep will be with good form. As you add weight to the singles recalculate to get 80% for these sets.

Plan on eating a goodly amount. DOn't do this on a calorie deficit as recovery is crucial week to week.

Good luck! Start up a log as I'd be interested to see how you do on this.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96

Last edited by MikeM; 06-01-2013 at 02:55 PM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote