Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Tip to learn sumo deadlift technique while improving pull from the floor. (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7898)

tank 11-13-2011 02:42 PM

Tip to learn sumo deadlift technique while improving pull from the floor.
 
What's up guys (and gals!)? Being a shorter guy I wanted to experiment with sumo style deadlifts and found that while they do feel heavier from the floor, mechanically they felt more comfortable. I'm currently running Madcow's variation of Starr's 5x5 routine which involves barbell rows on days 1 and 5.

Last workout I started doing something interesting that may benefit anyone trying to make the transition from conventional to sumo style deadlifts, so I wanted to share.

I need to work on my sumo deadlift technique and the hardest part of the lift is from the floor. When doing barbell rows, if I place the bar on the floor I have to pick it up from the floor every set to row it. Deadlifts from a deficit are used to improve pulls from the floor, and using sub-135 weight as my program requires for several sets (for now) allowed me to sumo deadlift the bar from a deficit because of the plate-heights. For this reason, you can purposely use multiple 25's or even 10 lb plates to create this deficit.

If you are using a relatively light weight (a lower percentage of intensity for YOU) you can do this between each rep to practice technique. Personally, I do the pull from the floor 2 or 3 times, then lean forward and begin my rows. If you are not using the same routine I imagine you can find a way to easily incorporate this idea.


Hope this helps and good luck transitioning!

BendtheBar 11-13-2011 04:15 PM

Good post.

I found barbell rows, particularly Pendlays, helped me a lot this year with pulling from the floor.

tank 11-13-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 188672)
Good post.

I found barbell rows, particularly Pendlays, helped me a lot this year with pulling from the floor.

thanks!

i'm going to look into pendlays because i've been hearing a lot about them lately.

BendtheBar 11-13-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tank (Post 188674)
thanks!

i'm going to look into pendlays because i've been hearing a lot about them lately.

Pretty much the same as a barbell row, except you set the weight down after every rep. So the row is from a dead stop.

Saves some wear and tear on my back as well. :mh:

tank 11-13-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 188687)
Pretty much the same as a barbell row, except you set the weight down after every rep. So the row is from a dead stop.

Saves some wear and tear on my back as well. :mh:

i did not know that! i could probably incorporate them into madcow's 5x5, right? the whole goal is strength and i don't see how doing pendlay's could be detrimental. am i wrong?

BendtheBar 11-13-2011 05:17 PM

Madcow has you barbell rowing on Monday and Friday correct?

If I am remembering correctly, than certainly, Pendlay's could be used in their place.

Here is how I perform mine (this is not me):


tank 11-13-2011 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 188691)
Madcow has you barbell rowing on Monday and Friday correct?

If I am remembering correctly, than certainly, Pendlay's could be used in their place.

Here is how I perform mine (this is not me):

Pendlay Rows 285X8 - YouTube

yeah mondays and fridays. that's awesome. I'm definitely gonna start doing them instead. :rockon:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.