Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Trap Bar Deadlift Use

Simple question...not trying to lead you to any specific answer.

Would you recommend hex bar deadlifts to a non-powerlifting trainee who is looking to build muscle, before they have a decent working understanding of squat and deadlift form/mechanics?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-01-2011 at 12:09 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Would you recommend hex bar deadlifts to a non-powerlifting trainee who is looking to build muscle, before they have a decent working understanding of squat and deadlift form/mechanics?
No, for that reason. After, sure, why not...

To me, a trap bar deadlift is just another variation of deads. It takes emphasis off the lower back and increases emphasis on legs. But to do any variation of a deadlift without understanding how/why to do a deadlift doesn't make sense.

Last edited by Shadowschmadow; 11-01-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Shadowschmadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Archery 2000 Champion! Fish Eat Fish Champion! Power Driver Champion! Yeti Sports 1 Greece Champion! Penguinoids Champion!
Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Simple question...not trying to lead you to any specific answer.

Nope. Last part is why I say no. Form/mechanics are important beyond belief, especially for squat and deadlifts.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

For what purpose? Used as an auxiliary movement (shrugs) I wouldn't have an issue. From my personal experience, trap/hex bars tend to create a lot of rounding in the back. I feel its more dangerous of a lift for a beginner than the straight bar. Also don't feel it promotes the same levers that are used in every day strength training.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Soccer Tournament Champion!
Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
From my personal experience, trap/hex bars tend to create a lot of rounding in the back. I feel its more dangerous of a lift for a beginner than the straight bar.
This is largely going to be related to how the individual sits for a pull. If anything, the lower back should be less likely to round because you begin your pull from a higher starting point. Which means you don't have to squat down as far. With a trapbar deadlift, your torso angle will/should be higher. This is what takes emphasis off the back and places it on the legs.

Not to say that trap bar deadlifts do not work your lower back.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #6
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Absolutely. If you tell someone to get their butt down, push through their heals and lift with their legs and they actually listen, the trap bar dead lift will be much easier than a traditional dead lift or back squat.

I don't get not having someone do it just because they are a beginner. It's one of the easiest lifts to get right, kind of like goblet squats, and will actively reinforce the correct movements they will need once they start working with a traidtional bar.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

I would if I could teach them how to do it and that it is NOT a deadlift substitute. hex bar deadlift is more like a hack squat than a deadlift.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
This is largely going to be related to how the individual sits for a pull. If anything, the lower back should be less likely to round because you begin your pull from a higher starting point. Which means you don't have to squat down as far. With a trapbar deadlift, your torso angle will/should be higher. This is what takes emphasis off the back and places it on the legs.

Not to say that trap bar deadlifts do not work your lower back.
From my experience every person who gets into a trap bar bows the back in the initial pull from the hips driving back rather than up. I threw the ones from our weight room in storage. Total junk in my opinion. If I am taking the time to teach someone to lift, I wouldn't waist my time on it.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

In my experience with a Hex Bar, it is more of a squat than a deadlift because it positions the weight around center mass much like a Spider Bar or Cambered variation. Its not a bad auxiliary movement, just I personally wouldn't make it the end all. Its another ego boosting exercise that I see many use as an excuse to NOT do straight bar deads. Of course just my personal opinion. I would definitely explain that its good to help bring up the squat or dead, but not the basis that a program should be designed around.
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #10
Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
From my experience every person who gets into a trap bar bows the back in the initial pull from the hips driving back rather than up. I threw the ones from our weight room in storage. Total junk in my opinion. If I am taking the time to teach someone to lift, I wouldn't waist my time on it.
I retract my former statement, as it's obvious that those with more experience training others haven't seen good results with this movement.

I'd go with the voice of experience that this isn't a good one for people just starting out.