|10-18-2011, 09:32 AM||#1|
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Between the thighs
Wendler's 531 questions
1. Do you need a certain strength level before you start using periodization, or is Wendler's good for anyone because you are always pushing?
2. Does the program give you enough volume on the main lifts?
|10-18-2011, 09:45 AM||#2|
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Jersey, US
Training Type: Fullbody
5/3/1 will for the most part will work for everyone. As a novice/intermediate lifter there are other programs which will yield quicker progression, but again, 5/3/1 will work.
In regards to volume. There is enough volume give the fact that 5/3/1 is open to alterations - if you find the 5/3/1 sets aren't enough, you can do a few down sets after the working sets OR choose to use the BBB template which included 5x10 of the main lift.
|10-18-2011, 09:55 AM||#3|
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading, Berkshire, UK
Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
Having run 5/3/1 for the best part of a year I think all of the shortcomings relate to weaker lifters. I think if you have at least 3/2/4 plates for squat/bench/dead it works well. In fact I think the stronger you are, the better it works.
1. If used by weaker lifters, they end up not lifting enough weight. Often they're not lifting to their full capabilities through technique issues rather than strength and low volume doesn't fix that although Boring but Big can.
2. Again for weaker lifters, 4 weekly deloads are not needed. They aren't lifting enough to warrant that.
3. For powerlifters there's not enough low rep' stuff.
There's probably more but those are the main ones. My main bugbear with it is the deload issue.
Proudly sponsored by Muscle and Brawn and Lifestyle Focus.
Ask me about Ark products.
|531, questions, wendler|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Wendler's 5/3/1 Guideline for Beginners||Bodybygamma||Workouts||27||09-27-2012 07:09 PM|
|Westside Barbell or Wendler's 5/3/1||5kgLifter||Powerlifting & Strength Training||10||05-12-2012 12:10 AM|
|Wendler's Hardcore Training||BendtheBar||Video Compilations||0||05-08-2011 05:38 PM|
|5...3...1?...Blastoff? (big val does Wendler's)||big valsalva||Training Logs||560||07-12-2010 06:59 AM|
|Westside - Wendler's 5/3/1 Hydrid||BendtheBar||Powerlifting & Strength Training||21||01-18-2010 06:42 PM|