Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
TitanWIP
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39 Points: 3,856, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

TitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good postsTitanWIP has made some very good posts
Default Squat rebound question, Starr and Rippetoe

Can someone explain this to me. I am confused. Bill Starr says:

Quote:
The main points to keep in mind on the back squat are to go very low, stay extremely tight throughout the movement, and do not rebound off the bottom.
Rippetoe states that rebound is part of the squat correct?
TitanWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanWIP View Post
Can someone explain this to me. I am confused. Bill Starr says:

Rippetoe states that rebound is part of the squat correct?
Eh, not everyone agrees on this particular part. You'll find a lot of big names that say do it, and a lot that will say not to do it.

Honestly, I always rebound (especially on heavy weights) and have never had any negative side effects from doing so. My knees were always healthy when I squatted. It was just this bum-ass hip of mine.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
kitarpyar
Max Brawn
Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94 Points: 23,931, Level: 94
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
kitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master memberkitarpyar is a master member

As per Wendler, "bombing down" with heavy weights and rebounding is fine provided you stay tight through this. If you can't maintain the tension though, then don't go down fast and rebound.

My $0.02 -- Starr, I think, says this because many trainees lose the "tightness" on rebound. Rip on the other hand says rebound is fine, implicit assumption being you rebound only if you can maintain the tightness during the process. IMO Wendler puts it very clearly.
kitarpyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

I wonder if that quote is taken a bit out of context? Maybe they were each referring to using squats for a different purpose?

I used to rebound all the time, but now I'm trying not to. My theory is that when you rebound you use more hamstring, but if you don't, you use more quad strength. So far I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference weightwise, but it's early in the experiment, yet. I do know I feel more in control and smooth when not rebounding very much (if at all), as opposed to sort of getting that bounce and kind of pausing slightly partway up where the legs kick in and push it on up. However, I'm not always sure about depth going with no rebound, but with rebound it is rock bottom for certain.

Maybe it's just personal preference as everyone is a bit different?

Anyone know more about this? Am I totally off base?
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I personally don't think anyone should do this until they have form approved by someone who knows squatting.

I rebound on my big work...80% plus. Or when I am going for high reps.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I personally don't think anyone should do this until they have form approved by someone who knows squatting.

I'm the same way.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post

Good to know! Thanks.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Pull14
Max Brawn
Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37 Points: 3,581, Level: 37
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Training Type: Fullbody
Pull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machinePull14 is a lifting machine

If your not "rebounding" to some extent, your really limiting the weight your able to push. Nothing wrong with it as long as you keep tension on your hamstrings/glutes and keep the lower back in a neutral position (no rounding). Also the rebound/bounce should be generated from the stretch and a bounce off the calves.

The stretch reflex is trainable and will aid a lift... use it. That said, it won't hurt to incorporate some paused squatting to work the opposite end of the spectrum.
Pull14 is offline   Reply With Quote