Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
Shadowschmadow
Totally Bitchin'
Max Brawn
Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29 Points: 2,307, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 8 years off and on
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Shadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributorShadowschmadow is a dedicated contributor

Here's the way I look at it:

Even if you don't want to take my word for it, there are a TON of successful and experienced powerlifters and coaches that most definitely contradict him.

Although when I squat, and when I teach others to squat, I always recommend what feels the most natural.

Last edited by Shadowschmadow; 10-11-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Shadowschmadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
ILoveLifting
Strength Fiend
Max Brawn
Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27 Points: 2,129, Level: 27
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: New York Strips and V8
ILoveLifting is off to a bad start

Today during training I spoke with Jeff Boyle, the owner, and Casey, who competes nationally. They have both seen first hand how much work I have put in on my form and how much I have reset maxes to correct this. Hopefully I've earned their respect, and I'm sure I have. Since they know how much this means to me I subtlelly let them know that someone with a supposed "world-class" reputation had just recently trashed wide squats and foot angle. Haha, their first response was that NOBODY in the past 15 years has stepped foot in our gym with a membership that competes or has competed with a world ranking in powerlifting Needless to say, they both agreed wholeheartedly with Us and told me to find out my own "grove" within the parameters of the basics and then not to listen to anyone, world-class or not. Period.

It's amazing the stories that people can tell and how much they can exagerate. For you that haven't read my journal, this Mike Barber guy who told me this bullshit and somewhat ruined my day also had the gall to say that he'd achieved two masters degrees along with his world ranking of 2068 @ 198, and has trained with louie simmons and ed coan. Doubt any is true. Only thing we know for sure now is that he's competed nationally and totalled 1500 and change. Close but no cigar!

I sure appreciate the attention that has been brought to my situation. Since everyone's comments were very usefull and spoken with logic, I suppose I can continue hear at MaB... haha, only until I find my "grove"

Seriously, thanks a bunch

Last edited by ILoveLifting; 10-11-2011 at 10:29 PM.
ILoveLifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #13
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalVirago View Post
my knees get pulled inward which isn't good for them. Maybe it's because having my feet forward isn't natural. Hmm....very interesting, guys!
Knee caving is normally a sign of weak hips, not foot placement. Foot placement might be 5% of your problem with that.
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLifting View Post

It's amazing the stories that people can tell and how much they can exagerate. For you that haven't read my journal, this Mike Barber guy who told me this bullshit and somewhat ruined my day also had the gall to say that he'd achieved two masters degrees along with his world ranking of 2068 @ 198, and has trained with louie simmons and ed coan. Doubt any is true. Only thing we know for sure now is that he's competed nationally and totalled 1500 and change. Close but no cigar!

I sure appreciate the attention that has been brought to my situation. Since everyone's comments were very usefull and spoken with logic, I suppose I can continue hear at MaB... haha, only until I find my "grove"

Seriously, thanks a bunch
The bolded statement...I see this more than most because I work in the industry, and can only say that there are some fringe and freaky beliefs out there, even among top level athletes.

My litmus test is usually how things stack up to other neutral trainers in that niche.

Each of us has some pet beliefs that might be considered off, but at the end of the day we have to be willing to learn and evolve instead of just staying in a rut and digging in.

There are some trainers on the net who either don't give a crap about, or are ignorant about what other top trainers advocate. This is dangerous ground. Staying ignorant or being defensive is pretty pointless, especially when you are in the business of giving advice.

Anywhooooo...it's good that you checked.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote