Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!
Default Local Power Lifter in the News

Source

Marion's Ivan Zwick has been lifting weights competitively for more than 30 years, and even at the age of 71 he's still going strong.
Zwick, who stands 5-foot-6 and weighs 143 pounds, recently bench pressed 265 pounds at the USA National Bench Press Championships in Orlando. He claimed a national championship in the masters weight class (ages 70 and over) at the event and will compete at the international competition in South Africa next April.

"I expected to lift a little bit more than that, and I'm shooting for 300 or better next time," Zwick said. "I expected to win it, and I've won nationals on a pretty regular basis. There is really nobody in the world benching what I'm benching in other countries."
Zwick won gold in New Zealand a few years back, and he's hoping to accomplish that again in South Africa next year.
"I think it'll be pretty good competition, and I could have a dozen people I'm competing against there," Zwick said. "If I can get my bench up to about 315, which I've done before, I should do pretty well."

Since he was 45 years old, Zwick has set state records in each age group over the years. When Zwick was competing in the 45-49 age group he bench pressed 308 pounds, and that record still stands today.
Competitive weight lifting started for Zwick around the time he turned 40. He wasn't getting enough exercise selling shoes and thought weight lifting was the way to go. The hard work has paid off, and Zwick is in tremendous shape.
"I've always been real interested in leading a healthy lifestyle, and I really watch my diet, too," Zwick said. "I quit eating red meat and have chicken about 90 percent of the time now. I also don't eat anything fried. I'll be 72 in a month, and I'm probably the only person around my age that doesn't take any prescriptions."

Zwick has only suffered a few injuries over the years and as long as he remains healthy and competitive he'll continue to lift around in events around the country.

"If I'm not competitive at the nationals or the world competition there is no point in me doing it," Zwick said. "The only people that go are people that feel they can win."
scott.mees@thesouthern.com

Read more: 71-year-old still going strong
bruteforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

he's not going to be content sitting in his grandpa chair, wearing slippers and a cardigan
Old 09-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
PrimalBeard
Brawn
Points: 1,185, Level: 18 Points: 1,185, Level: 18 Points: 1,185, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Capsaicin
PrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributorPrimalBeard is a consistent contributor

I hope we all have similar stories at that age.

However, cutting out the read meat.... meh

Bravo for no prescriptions!
PrimalBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Very cool. I want to be the biggest and strongest guy in my nursing home.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Geezer power! My grandmother never quit. She kept pushing and pushing and even after they told her to stop working in her yard she didn't listen. She made it until almost 90.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Impressive.....nothing else needs to be said.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

"Don't give up, don't ever give up" - Jim Valvano.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote