Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #21
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Yeah I don't think this 'cos Louie say's so' really cuts it. Olympic lifters for decades have completed quite well doing Olympic Squats.

Personally I've found wide stance to be suited to you if you're considerably more hamstring hip dominant. Prior to my hamstring-injury in 2006 my Hips/Hams were my strongest body-part and I could perform GMs with almost the same weight as I could Squat. At that time wider was inevitably better. Over the years since recovering from the hamstring injury my quads have taken on much more of a role and I naturally place my feet narrower.

From what I've seen comparing the two, the hip/hamstring form allows more weight to be lifted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull14 View Post
raw is knee sleeves/wraps a belt OR none.
To clarify; raw is belt only.

Knee wraps will put you in the equipped division.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
but as soon as I went to do a squat without the box I nearly fell over.
That's one of the reasons I personally don't do all box squats. I didn't have an issue this this ^, but I do start to lose my confidence of non-box squats.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalBeard View Post
Also after finishing the prep for a late dinner I felt I had to come back:

I don't have anything against "non-raw," and have no where enough experience to even pass any judgement. I guess what I want to make sure is clear is I want to see what I can do with the current skin I have (fat and all).

Obviously I have quite a bit to learn, but if I offend anyone with my ignorance please correct me.
We're all here to help and none of us is perfect. One thing you will always get here is respect. We are all at different parts of our journey, but here the man is more important than the journey.

I ask questions every day. Iron sharpens iron.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #24
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
I had experience with this, when I first started reading about Westside. I was exclusively doing box squats, because I thought they were all I needed. Also, I was squatting extemely wide (feet to the sides of the rack). Everything was going great on the box, but as soon as I went to do a squat without the box I nearly fell over. There are huge differences between raw and geared lifting, I wish Louis would address these issues. I think the video makes sense, but more for a geared lifter. Maybe I am wrong.
That was my experience with box squats. I lift with belt only. I was assured by many that box squats were the way to go. I tried them out and got zip in terms of carryover. When I read up on this on some internet forums, I was told that I must be doing the box squats incorrectly. Watched the vids, tried again, and same result.

I have to agree with Pull and BTB about wide stance squatting too. I think overall, I can get more weight from a wide stance squat, but the only time I've had joint pain from squats (i.e.. ankles, knees, hips) was when adopting a stance that did not feel natural.
Tannhauser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #25
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

I love wide box squats...that is all

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #26
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Quote:
To clarify; raw is belt only.

Knee wraps will put you in the equipped division.
Not entirely correct, it solely depends on what Fed you compete in. On the link below check under "Plies", 0(Raw) and (k) [use of knee wraps allowed, in RAW division].

Compare Powerlifting Federations | Powerlifting Watch

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #27
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspers04 View Post
Not entirely correct, it solely depends on what Fed you compete in. On the link below check under "Plies", 0(Raw) and (k) [use of knee wraps allowed, in RAW division].

Compare Powerlifting Federations | Powerlifting Watch
True enough; but that's really only an American thing. The UK, Canada, Europe and most of the rest of the world are pretty unanimous in what is considered raw. The numerous American Feds that seem to pop up over night, have a reputation across the pond for being somewhat 'creative' in their rules and judging.

Last edited by Fazc; 09-17-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #28
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalBeard View Post
Also after finishing the prep for a late dinner I felt I had to come back:

I don't have anything against "non-raw," and have no where enough experience to even pass any judgement. I guess what I want to make sure is clear is I want to see what I can do with the current skin I have (fat and all).

Obviously I have quite a bit to learn, but if I offend anyone with my ignorance please correct me.
I am offended.... I will not stand for this! LOL I am just joking. Good luck with the raw journey.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #29
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91

Training Exp: 15
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Louie will tell you that his guys are stronger than anyone elses raw or equipped. So he is going to tell you that even though you are raw, you should be wide stance. His points seem valid, but if you look at Dave Hoff squat stance its not really that wide compared to most of the WSBB guys. I think it really boils down to each person and what works for them. I squat just wider than shoulder width, just feel stronger there than anywhere else. I do this with our without my squat suit on.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #30
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

I do wide box squats 1-2 times a month, I do it mainly as a overall deadlift and squat assistance movement. Great to develop the posterior chain but i would not substitute them for my regular squatting.