Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
mab54
Max Brawn
Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56 Points: 7,329, Level: 56
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Scivation whey
mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine
Default Jackal knee wraps

I tried to search first but I didn't find anything that really helped so my question is...

I have never lifted with any form of gear,wraps or belt, and hadn't really planned on it. A powerlifter I know and really respect told me that even though I lift raw that I should get these slip on knee wraps from jackal's gym.

He said that they will help protect my knees, I really know nothing about powerlifting gear and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these knee wraps or wraps in general.

Also is there a difference between 7mm and 5mm length in knee wraps, both are IPF legal.
mab54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2011, 05:10 AM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab54 View Post
I tried to search first but I didn't find anything that really helped so my question is...

I have never lifted with any form of gear,wraps or belt, and hadn't really planned on it. A powerlifter I know and really respect told me that even though I lift raw that I should get these slip on knee wraps from jackal's gym.

He said that they will help protect my knees, I really know nothing about powerlifting gear and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these knee wraps or wraps in general.

Also is there a difference between 7mm and 5mm length in knee wraps, both are IPF legal.
I've read a small bit about knee wraps before and know that they can also cause issues, as with everything, so you might find this read of interest...it's the first link I came across with the info I was looking for:

"Without question, knee wraps will help you hoist bigger weights, particularly on your squat - ten to twenty percent, as a matter of fact. In powerlifting, the total is all that matters, so obviously you want to do everything you can (within the confines of the rules, of course), to get every last pound you can.

Although greater weights can be handled using wraps, your quadriceps are actually relieved from some of the stress they'd ordinarily receive when you lift with wraps.

Another problem is that, even properly worn, knee wraps jam the patella against the femoral groove throughout the squatting movement, and over time, this may potentiate chondromalacia patellae (wearing away at the inside of the knee cap).

Given these risks, should you use the wraps in the gym with any regularity?

Yes, but with prudence."

Source: Should I Use Knee Wraps To Increase My Squat? - Staley Training Systems
Old 09-12-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Was he telling you to lift with knee wraps of sleeves? Those are two very different things. Most raw classes do not allow knee wraps, but pretty most allow knee sleeves.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
JesseA
Über Member
Uber Brawn
Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36 Points: 3,369, Level: 36

JesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributorJesseA is a consistent contributor

Quote:

The "Slip on knee wraps" I think you're referring to are the Rehband knee sleeves that Jackal's Gym sells. These are not wraps, but Neoprene sleeves, they won't add much if anything to your squat, but will keep your knees nice and warm. The Tommy Kono sleeves are similar. Both are legal in most IPF rule based feds as RAW or unequipped.

A true knee wrap is much different and gives a lot more assistance to the lifter, plus you wouldn't wear them for your whole workout like the knee sleeve since you crank them down super tight.
Elite FTS

I would recommend the knee sleeve if you're concern is general knee health.
JesseA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
mab54
Max Brawn

mab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machinemab54 is a lifting machine

Thanks everyone for replying, I was talking about the rehband knee sleeves.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get them for knee health. Also is there a difference between the original and new style. All I can tell is that one is 7mm in length and the other is 5mm. Does that make any difference at all?
Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:
Thanks everyone for replying, I was talking about the rehband knee sleeves.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get them for knee health. Also is there a difference between the original and new style. All I can tell is that one is 7mm in length and the other is 5mm. Does that make any difference at all?
The rehband sleeves are measured in thickness, not length. The 7's should keep the joint warmer than the 5's. The 7mm ones should last a long time. They are not making that style anymore though. The black ones are the new style, but everyone I know has said the blue ones are far superior.
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
mab54
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
The rehband sleeves are measured in thickness, not length. The 7's should keep the joint warmer than the 5's. The 7mm ones should last a long time. They are not making that style anymore though. The black ones are the new style, but everyone I know has said the blue ones are far superior.
Ok thanks, I'm going to go with blue ones.

and again thanks everyone for the posts!