Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Giving blood pros and cons? (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7245)

Abaddon 09-04-2011 05:31 AM

Giving blood pros and cons?

I've been thinking for a while now about giving blood, but recently I've been told that giving blood would be an all-round good thing for me in terms of my strength conditioning.

A post-graduate in biomedical science has informed me that depleting my blood stores will cause the production of new, stronger erythrocytes (red blood cells), which in turn will give me a boost in stamina and promote growth and strength in virtually all areas.

I've never before given blood, and so I was wondering if anyone out there has given blood and noticed any credible effects in their training?

Spartigus 09-04-2011 05:51 AM

Sounds interesting, looking forward to an answer!

Ryano 09-04-2011 06:33 AM

After 9/11/01 I began giving blood every 8 weeks. Didn't notice any difference in training at all. If there was a difference, it was minimal. I don't give blood anymore now. It also depletes your iron.

Abaddon 09-04-2011 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryano (Post 167724)
After 9/11/01 I began giving blood every 8 weeks. Didn't notice any difference in training at all. If there was a difference, it was minimal. I don't give blood anymore now. It also depletes your iron.

Thanks mate. I was warned to keep my iron up, but with the amount of red meat I consume that isn't an issue. At all.

BendtheBar 09-04-2011 08:29 AM

I never felt anything bad or negative after giving blood.

Giving plasma...yes. I gave plasma once and felt like a train wreck.

ricka182 09-04-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 167736)
I never felt anything bad or negative after giving blood.

Giving plasma...yes. I gave plasma once and felt like a train wreck.

I used to sell my blood and plasma as often as I could when I was the service. E1's and E2's don't make much, and needs more money to drink.. easy cash was at the clinic off base.

But I never felt anything in terms of training good or bad. Sometimes I got a little headache, but I was always fine in a couple of hours..

Hazzard 09-04-2011 12:51 PM

I've given blood twice and it made me... tired. But only for the day and was in the gym a day or two after and it made no positive difference.

5kgLifter 09-04-2011 12:57 PM

A bit of a good read here:

Can I Work Out or Exercise After Donating Blood? by MunFitnessBlog.com

PrimalBeard 09-16-2011 06:56 PM

Btb had you given plasma before? I've always either donated R2 or plasma, and once I'm up for it (something like 100 days between donations for how much I give), it'll be my first since I started lifting.

I'm curious how this will go, as I feel strongly about donating. I've actually put off getting another tattoo just so I wouldn't be banned from donating for a full year.

I usually bounce right back from Plasma and R2 donations.. hopefully it's not too bad! I'll post back here after I donate next.

PrimalBeard 09-16-2011 07:08 PM

Ryano, Ricka, Hazzard... what type of training would you do after you donated?