Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
AdamF
Brawn
Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14 Points: 773, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Sheiko
Fav Exercise: Bench
AdamF is new to the forumAdamF is new to the forum
Default Slow Cut for a Meet in the Spring

Hey guys, I know cutting for meets has been discussed ad nauseum around here and the internets so I apologize in advance if many of you think this is beating a dead horse.

There is usually a PL meet here in MD sometime in Feb-Mar. The USAPL Navy Open if I remember correctly. I currently sit at about 225 and would like to cut into the 198s. I think that I could lost the 30 lbs if I started now and just did a slow cut and be down to 196-197 by Feb.

The biggest problem I have, being in college and living at home, is I have very little control over my diet. I eat what my parents make, and I'm pretty happy that I can get that, because I would be eating ramen and PBJs if I was on my own. So other than the obvious of portion control, what can I do?

The best idea Ive seen is to do a warrior diet or some other form of intermittent fasting. That way I can just fast for the day and eat dinner at home. Seems to be easy and will work with my schedule.

Does anyone have any other ideas that may help me? Even if its just links to other reads or anything, I just don't feel that I would be even remotely competitive at the 242s or even 220s.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF View Post

The biggest problem I have, being in college and living at home, is I have very little control over my diet.
I think you "may" have more control over your diet than you think.

Quote:
I eat what my parents make, and I'm pretty happy that I can get that, because I would be eating ramen and PBJs if I was on my own. So other than the obvious of portion control, what can I do?

The best idea Ive seen is to do a warrior diet or some other form of intermittent fasting. That way I can just fast for the day and eat dinner at home. Seems to be easy and will work with my schedule.

Does anyone have any other ideas that may help me? Even if its just links to other reads or anything, I just don't feel that I would be even remotely competitive at the 242s or even 220s.

Thanks in advance.

I mean this with utmost respect.

Do you have two hands? I am sure they are capable of making more than PBJ's

Can you cook and prepare food? If you do not know how, honestly learn how.

Do you get or earn money?

Do you have access to things in the house? Like the refrigerator, and things in the cupboard?

Do you have a car or access to a car to go to the grocery store?

Can you ask your parents to get things (on a list you make) at the store when they go shopping?

In addition, what have YOU figured your calorie maintenance line to be and where are you going to set calorie deficits at?

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 09-03-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
AdamF
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillen View Post
I mean this with utmost respect.

Do you have two hands? I am sure they are capable of making more than PBJ's

Can you cook and prepare food? If you do not know how, honestly learn how.

Do you get or earn money?

Do you have access to things in the house? Like the refrigerator, and things in the cupboard?

Do you have a car or access to a car to go to the grocery store?

Can you ask your parents to get things (on a list you make) at the store when they go shopping?

In addition, what have YOU figured your calorie maintenance line to be and where are you going to set calorie deficits at?

Well when you put it like that then yes I suppose I have a bit more control than I led on.

1. I can cook, rather well actually, it just honestly takes a lot more time than I have.

2. Yes I have a full time job, but after car payments, gas, tuition, and books, a minimum wage job doesn't leave a lot left over at the end of the month for a full grocery bill. Hence why I live at home. I may have in the ball park of $50-60 a month for food.

3. Yes.

4. Yes, this is unfortunately my money pit.

5. Yes, if i pay for it, but they get sort of offended in a "what, our food isn't good enough" sort of way.

No offense taken though Chillen, I was more looking for a simple plan I could follow that would not have me constantly counting calories and cycling carbs.

Thanks for the help though.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

One possibility is a Paleo approach. This generally allows you to eat until satiety, but you do have to make sure you're eating enough fat and that your diet isn't all protein. I lost about 15 pounds on my first month of Paleo.

If not Paleo, what forms of protein do you have around the house a lot? Do you guys have a lot of eggs and milk available?

Another possibility is to eat maintenance on training days and a little lower on off days. I can talk specific calorie levels if need be. Do you know about what you eat each day right now as far as calories?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
AdamF
Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
If not Paleo, what forms of protein do you have around the house a lot? Do you guys have a lot of eggs and milk available?
Yes, milk and eggs are really the only thing protein wise that I have access to all the time. If I don't, those are the only two things cheap enough to buy.

Paleo would be an option if I just completely stopped eating at my house all together and starting buying completely for myself. My family is full of 98lb weakling types that live off processed snack foods and a stupidly high amount of carbs.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Well I lived off eggs, milk and ramen for a long time. I think you could do pretty well with that if you dropped cals on days off. I think you could hit 15 pounds in the first couple of months pretty easily with just puling back the cals a bit.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

My suggestions for you:
First if you want to make 198, diet to 205-210 then water cycle to 198. Research how to water cycle. Losing 12 pounds with water cycling is fairly easy. I have used it for as much as 20 pounds before.

Second: Control how much stuff goes into your mouth. Dieting is fairly simple. Want to weigh less, eat a little less. Want to lose weight quicker? Run some hills, flip a tire, swing a sledgehammer, etc. Dont over think dieting as a strength athlete. Eat alot of protein, a moderate amount of fat, and fill in whatever remaining calories with good carb choices.

The biggest part of dieting is to learn what works for you. A 80% Paleo diet works wonders for me, letting me shed fat while still eating fairly close to maintainance. Experiment, find what works for you, and stick with it.
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote