Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #11
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

A pet peeve of mine is when people want linear progression but say they dont want to do 5/3/1. 5/3/1 is a linear program. It just progresses monthly instead of daily or weekly.
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
A pet peeve of mine is when people want linear progression but say they dont want to do 5/3/1. 5/3/1 is a linear program. It just progresses monthly instead of daily or weekly.
I guess what I meant by linear maybe wasn't the best use of the word. 5/3/1 jumps around a lot on the # of reps that were going on week to week. The progression scheme was a good one, but I always felt a little 'off' not being able to see how my 5 or 3 reps matched up week after week. I don't believe that I'm advanced enough for 5/3/1 to work at its full potential. If I can add 5-10 pounds a week, I would prefer to do that rather than waiting a month to add weight.
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteforce View Post
I guess what I meant by linear maybe wasn't the best use of the word. 5/3/1 jumps around a lot on the # of reps that were going on week to week. The progression scheme was a good one, but I always felt a little 'off' not being able to see how my 5 or 3 reps matched up week after week. I don't believe that I'm advanced enough for 5/3/1 to work at its full potential. If I can add 5-10 pounds a week, I would prefer to do that rather than waiting a month to add weight.
On 5/3/1 you need to compare your 5rm's, 3rm's and 1rm's across months, not weeks. For example, last month my 5rm for deadlift was 280x6, this month is 290X7.

If you can add weight to the bar every week, by all means do it. I cannot do that anymore and 5/3/1 has been a godsent for me lately.
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
bruteforce
The Gristle Eating Giant
Max Brawn
Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80 Points: 15,492, Level: 80
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Supp: Rare Steak
bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!bruteforce is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
On 5/3/1 you need to compare your 5rm's, 3rm's and 1rm's across months, not weeks. For example, last month my 5rm for deadlift was 280x6, this month is 290X7.

If you can add weight to the bar every week, by all means do it. I cannot do that anymore and 5/3/1 has been a godsent for me lately.
Thats exactly the issue I was having. 5/3/1 is fantastic, but for a novice that can barely squat a bar with his bodyweight on it, adding weight weekly is still possible. I want to do that for as long as I can before I jump onto something more sophisticated with slower progression. I'm sorry my terminology irritated you, but I'm rather enjoying my new routine.
bruteforce is offline   Reply With Quote